Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

plate debate

Options
radmix
radmix Member Posts: 194
I remember reading a article about rolled form plates vs. extruded plates. I believe it was called the great plate debate would anyone know where I can find this article.

Rich

Comments

• radmix
    Options
    Plate debate

Maybe the article was not called The great plate debate. Does anyone know where I Can find any info on the efficiency of rolled form plates vs. extruded Or any pros and cons for or against that has been proves

Rich
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    not sure what you want to know

heavy plates drop water temps anywhere from 10 to 30 degrees for equivalent output depending on load and floor coverings compared to lightweights in a joist.

and note; that's compared to GOOD lightweights, properly installed, not just anything someone smashes together and manages to hang in a joist bay. contact is key.

the effect that has on efficiency varies based on heat source and temperature range.

Heavy plates make less noise and react faster and generally are an easier installation.

I usually advocate for heavies or nothing in a joist bay, depending on the heat load. Very, very low loads don't need plates. Most loads do.

Hope that helps.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • radmix
    Options
    plates

I have always used extruded plates but I now have a customer that is buying rolled form plates for a manufacture that claims extruded plates are only 8% more efficient than rolled form and you will never see the payback for extruded plates. I read a article about this once and was trying to find it for him

Rich
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    I know where he is reading that

and it's pretty far off the mark. We have an entire industry's experience vs one company with an infrared camera who apparently don't understand the limitations of its usage.

You can't measure output with a surface temperature reading alone.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • NT3041
    NT3041 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Plate Debate

Would this be it?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Plateless in Radiantville?

http://www.radiantengineering.com/PlatelessInRadiantville.pdf

They are not required, but if you want a high efficiency, virtually silent system, you will use them. As other people have said, it will work better if it has a good "bite" on the tubing.

Conductivity is the KING of heat transfer, and the better the bite, the better the heat transfer, hence extruded is better than roofing flashing aluminum.

We tested all of these methods many years ago up at Red Rocks, and it was quite obvious the significant difference in performance.

Can you do it without plates? Possibly. As long as the consumer is willing to put up with noise, high utility bills and uneven heating, none of which fall within my definition of COMFORT.

ME

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.