Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Primary vs Hydraulic Separator

Options
plumber4
plumber4 Member Posts: 13
here is my issue, I have a TT Solo 110 which hsa a min of 5-7 gpm flow thru the heat exchanger required while I have a manifold with 8 feeds all under 1 gpm each with a 30 deg delta T. I feel a hydraulic separator would protect the boiler better in case only one or two zones call at any given time. When you look at the schematics of th eprimary and secondary loops they almost have to flow in reverse to return back to the boiler. Especially where I will use a variable spped delta t pump on the zone side so I will not have a relief valve bleeding back into the return. Does anyone else have any inout on this

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited April 2010
    Options
    LLH's

Biggest advantage to them besides the seperation of the boiler from the system. No temp drop across the zones when multiple zones call and I can eliminate the use of a spirovent/air elimination. I do Viessmann and I like the Taco for the jobs we use Vitodens 100's on (no temp sensor needed) and the Caleffi for the Vitodens 200 jobs (when temp sensor is needed).
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • plumber4
    Options
    LLH manufacture

Thanks Chris, I have been looking at the Taco, Watts Radiant, and Callefi brands of LLH. The Taco is the only manf, that does not give info on the contents internal to the separator. Both the Watts and the Callefi show a screen of sorts to help in the diffusion of air and the separation of debris. I read previously that you had experience with the Taco. Other than being less expensive do they have internal help in any way? 
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    No

Seems that there isn't but I also have not cut one open. They say the truth is in the pudding and to this point not one problem. I only use them on 100,000 btu or less jobs using Vitodens 100's and knock on wood not one problem. The Caleffi are sweet but much more $$ so on those simple baseboard, atmospheric job where we do 100's the Taco fits real nice. I use the Caleffi on Vitodens 200 jobs when we need water temp sensing inside the LLH. Have also used a few Caleffi Hydro Links on smaller jobs and they also work really nice.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • plumber4
    Options
    material of construction

I do like the fact that both the Watts and Taco are all copper. I also foegot the B&G separator, like the Callefi they are Iron which I believe is epoxy coated on the interior. If a spot does develop that is no longer protected wouldnt that cause havoc on the htx with rust?
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Construction

IF is a very big word. If anything there is something whether good or bad. I would pose your question to Hot Rod (HR). He lurks within "The Wall" and works for Caleffi. He would be more intune to amount of troubles or failures, etc. I have not heard of any but like any poduct on the market there is an "IF."
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    if you have non barrier tube

then a copper hydro-separator makes sense. I'd certainly consider a non ferrous Everything on rubber tube, boiler upgrades. Other than that, why copper? Do you use copper expansion tanks? The wall thickness of the expansion tank is much thinner than the hydro-separator.

The insulation jacket is a nice touch, keep the BTUs in the fluid stream.

We can build ASME listed separators, if needed, and have custom built up to 16" pipe size separators.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.