Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator-How many manifolds?

Kungur
Kungur Member Posts: 49
How many manifolds can one circulator service? Is it strictly one for one?

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    ?

Could you be a little more specific please.
  • Kungur
    Kungur Member Posts: 49
    Circulator-How many manifolds?

The diagrams that I have seen show 1 circulator pumping to 1 manifold. Can 1 circulator be piped so that more than 1 manifold is used?

Thanks
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Whole houses being done with one pump....

There is a LOT more to sizing a pump than meets the eye. It is based on worst case pressure drop of all connected circuits, and the maximum GPM flow rate required for ALL connected loads. I have many houses with one circulator serving many manifolds. In todays economic/environmentally aware society, variable speed REALLY makes sense.

You could do the one pump per manifold thing for redundancy, but then when all the pumps are running, you will need AC in the mechanical room to keep the room reasonably cool. I'm sure the pump manufacturers would LOVE to have you use one per manifold...

With todays technology (WILO and Grundfos and a few others), variable speed circulators are the only way to go with variable loads. If the load is a fixed, constant, then stick with conventional technology, but if there are variables, then use a variable speed pump to meet your needs.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.