Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How many BTU's do you need?

FoxyRoxy
FoxyRoxy Member Posts: 1
I am putting in a horizontal  natural gas furnace in my crawl space, converting from electrical zone heating.  My home is new, well insulated, double pane windows and is 1320 sq.feet,no basement. One firm estimated 65,000 BTU's: a second 45,000 BTU's, both 95% efficient.  I don't know how to evaluate these estimates.  Help!  

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Ask

Did you ask for the heat loss with your estimate? If so, review it. I would assume that you were given product brands/models if not ask for them. I would assume you asked for references. Check them. It's not always the arrow but the indian you need to do more research on. 
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    To do the duct layout...

... a room by room heat loss would have to be done,  Add the rooms together and you have your building load.  If the crawlspace is cold, maybe one guy is figuring that and the other one isn't.  May be a reason for the two sizes.

To be fair to the contractor, I would never leave a heat loss and design with a perspective customer without being paid for it.  So that may be why you haven't seen one.  Just remember, when it comes to heating, too big is worse than too small.
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
This discussion has been closed.