Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A marble in my vapor valve?

Brian_74
Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
One of my radiators has been making a noise that sounds like a marble in boiling water (anyone else's mother do that?). Today I listened to it with my mechanic's stethoscope. The sound seems to be loudest from the control valve (it's a vapor system). Could the cause be the valve? If so, what should I do? Just replace it? (Yeah, I know, that's a mighty big "just")Here's the valve (handle removed):
1929 Ideal Heating vapor system.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    It could be

as simple as something having come adrift in the valve.  Can you disassemble it further, and make sure all the parts are screwed together as they should be?  Just take good note of how it was put together and all; some of those valves have adjustable openings and if you don't look at how they were together they may not go back together quite right (ask me how I know).

And yes, my Mom did sometimes put marbles in water to boil; made it boil more evenly!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Brian_74
    There's a nut under the ring.

I'll try loosing that tomorrow, when the stores are open. What am I looking for? Or is this just a look and see?
  • Jamie Hall
    Who knows...

Depends on the exact type of valve.  I'd just be looking for something loose!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Brian_74
    Normally that's what gets me into trouble.

I found ye olde broken and loose part. I'm going to cut it off and reassemble. Any ideas where I can get a replacement? I suspect this is deep into NLA land.
  • Jamie Hall
    There is a reason...

why I never throw anything mechanical out around here... most of the parts aren't available any more!  One gets very creative!

But since this looks like a two pipe or vapour system, you may be able to find a new "will fit" valve, if you can't fix the old one.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Brian_74
    I'll see how this does

I don't actually use the valves anyway, although it would be a shame to replace it with a modern one. This is one of the few remaining original valves in the house. I guess on the bright side, that means I can still get something that will fit.

Thanks for your help, Jamie.
This discussion has been closed.