Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is the life expentency of a vent?

I have some vari-valve #1s that are at least 5 years old and don't seem to be working that well. Right now tapping them seems to have a greater effect then the adjustment dials.

Is it likely that they are shot and how long should new ones last if they are replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2010
    I posted a few days ago...

When I changed my vents a little over a year ago, I used a mix of VairValves, Hoffman 1As and Gorton Ds.  All of the VariValves have failed in less than 2 years.  In my opinion, they just don't work.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Vents

I would think that the rad vents should last much longer that main vents.  The mains open and close on every heating cycle.  The vents on the rads most of the time never close on steam.  They will only close when you run a very long cycle.
  • zippy
    zippy Member Posts: 19
    vent life expectancy

I have had a Hoffman 75 min vent for about 5 years. However, I think it went this season and have been putting off replacing it. Probably a miistake.
  • SBoston
    SBoston Member Posts: 61
    Some with my vents

All but 1 of my heat timer vents have failed.  They last about 2 years and then they were done.  For the price.. i don't think it's worth it.  The cheap vents that i got at HD are all still working.
  • Roadking
    Roadking Member Posts: 7
    Gorton! 'Nuff Said.

Keep the pressure low.

Keep the boiler clean. Blow down the LWCO and low point drain valves weekly.

Install good quality vents and balance the system.

I have a 10 family apt. bldg. in the Bx with steam heat.  I installed Gorton vents on all my risers and radiators 10 years ago.  I've replaced 3 or 4 of them out of the 40+ total in 10 years. The rest are all still fine.

Gorton.     'Nuff Said
  • Vent Life

It's hard to answer your question. Very generally I'd say, Today's vents- only a few years. They just don't seem to built radiator vents like they used to do. I have a few vents that are 50+ years old and are stilling running as reliably as the Energizer Bunny!  I also have some I bought in 2007 that now need replacing.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.