Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler purchase/installation

armychiq
armychiq Member Posts: 29
With my first time  home buyers tax credit I'd like to replace my boiler. It is as old as the home (which was built in the 50's) and from what I've read, its not very efficient. I'd like to get an energy star one or something with at least 90% or more efficiency. I've heard of the German model Lochinvar but that's it. Any other suggestions on boilers that are reputable and energy efficient?

Also, how do you know how to calculate your BTUs needed? is that something I can do?

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    new boiler

BTUs needed is figured with a heatloss calculation. there is free software available to do this, and it takes into account all the aspects of your home to figure your actual heatloss. If you hire a pro to replace the boiler, they will or should do a heatloss.

As for brand name, Lochinvar, Peerless, Crown, Weil McLane, Camas, Trinity, Triangle, and so on. All fine boilers, really depends on where the installer has his accounts and gets the best prices.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • digger_2
    digger_2 Member Posts: 39
    Lochinvar is American

Lochinvar is a family held corporation founded in Michigan. I think in about 1919. Headquartered now in Lebanon, TN.

I chose the Lochinvar for my own home. It's manufactured closer to my home than any other.
  • armychiq
    RE: Lochinvar is American

Ha, you're right! That's what the inistaller guy told me - that it was originated from Germany. Funny. I noticed they're pretty pricey - yikes
  • armychiq
    RE: new boiler

Ok. i wasnt sure if it was something i could like run a calculation for per sq footage or not - sounds more indepth than i thought. Thanks for the advise!
This discussion has been closed.