Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

reverse threaded nips

BAB
BAB Member Posts: 118
I am connecting two six foot radiators to each other and have reverse threads on the left radiator.  I need two reverse threaded nips (close or short) black iron for steam 1-1/2" pipe size (inch and a half pipe size).  Some peoples call the "reverse threaded nips" by the term "left & right hand threaded nips". Please provide a supply house phone number.  Better yet, if there is an old timer out there with an overstock of reverse theaded nips, ... we can do a deal.  I can make most anything work if it has a male reverse thread. 

I phoned Springfield, MA,  then Boston, MA, some NY & PA suppliers with no luck.

Comments

• Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Here ya go......

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/leftright.html

Plumbing Supply.com
    Jim Bennett
  • BAB
    just in time

Thanks for the quick response.  I just placed an order online for the nips.  Prior to your reply I had started to pull my 1-1/2" threading die apart & was going to reverse the teeth & butcher some nips to make do.  I will wait for the ordered shipment instead.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2010
    Just curious?

How do you do that and expect-it to work??

What make of threading tool do you have?
  • Jim Bennett
    Ridgid.....

also has left hand die teeth for 12-R sets.

Good luck,

Jim
    Jim Bennett
  • I have those Jim,,,

old friend,,, but I would hesitate to say it`s as simple as BAB says. :-)
  • Jim Bennett
    Hey Dave....

No, I don't think reconfiguring RH die teeth will get you LH threads either, but who knows? ;)

I have LH teeth for the 12R also. I use them for radiator work like BAB is planning. I got a spare set of 12R heads with the LH teeth and painter them blue so no one gets the confused. (Me)

Cheers,

Jim
    Jim Bennett
  • Good to hear from a crazy clammer LOL,,,

I`ll never forget your help with a not too distant problem Jim! :-).

Hope you & yours have been well,,,, don`t get to see you often enough! ;-)
  • BAB
    I almost did it

I did not do it!  But desperate people sometimes do desperate things.  I removed the four teeth from my Ridgid manual pipe threader 1-1/2" pipe size.  I was going to reverse the teeth & reset in the tool ide head.  The teeth have a groove or slot that has to mesh with the tool hold down plate or ring.  I was going to flip the hold down ring or use 4 spacers if the flip did not work.  With the teeth groove facing the wrong way they would need a rigid square o-ring to keep them aligned to spec., an 1/8" or 3/16 cut off from the proper pipe end would yield a rigid o-ring.  I do not even know if the reversed threads would do the job but I was going to find out. 

Once I had a reworked the die head I was going to mangle right over new right handed nipple threads.  I might grind off some of the threaded teeth before attempting my reverse thread so as to provide some concentricity, ... being that my reverse die head could not use the usual OD pipe guiding sleeve.

Purchase of a left hand thread die head was always a possibility.  At a pressure as little as 1-3 oz per sq in, with lots of teflon tape, ... hopefully all I would need is a couple threads/grooves to grab. I have some cross threaded joints here & there that will never hurt anyone.  Nor bragging, ... but things happen.

I am waiting for the ordered nips.
  • BAB
    repeated

I did not do it!  But desperate people sometimes do desperate things.  I removed the four teeth from my Ridgid manual pipe threader 1-1/2" pipe size.  I was going to reverse the teeth & reset in the tool ide head.  The teeth have a groove or slot that has to mesh with the tool hold down plate or ring.  I was going to flip the hold down ring or use 4 spacers if the flip did not work.  With the teeth groove facing the wrong way they would need a rigid square o-ring to keep them aligned to spec., an 1/8" or 3/16 cut off from the proper pipe end would yield a rigid o-ring.  I do not even know if the reversed threads would do the job but I was going to find out. 

Once I had a reworked the die head I was going to mangle right over new right handed nipple threads.  I might grind off some of the threaded teeth before attempting my reverse thread so as to provide some concentricity, ... being that my reverse die head could not use the usual OD pipe guiding sleeve.

Purchase of a left hand thread die head was always a possibility.  At a pressure as little as 1-3 oz per sq in, with lots of teflon tape, ... hopefully all I would need is a couple threads/grooves to grab. I have some cross threaded joints here & there that will never hurt anyone.  Nor bragging, ... but things happen.

I am waiting for the ordered nips.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2010
    OH MAN,,,,

Don`t ruin a set of beautiful dies for perhaps 2 nipples?,,, besides if it can`t be done I would think  Ridgid would have thought of it.

Just wait your turn! ;-)
  • BAB
    left hand die teeth

left hand die teeth,  left hand die teeth,  ..left hand die teeth,

Why did I not think of that!     This site is great!

If confronted with this again I will invest in the left handed die teeth, ... thanks! 
  • Jim Bennett
    Great Site.......

Glad I could help. This is a Great Site!  I learn something new here almost every day.

Stick around,

Jim
    Jim Bennett
This discussion has been closed.