Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex Tubing

EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
I have been asked if Pex tubing can be used in a commercial building (school) on a standard temperature hot water system (not radient).

I see 2 issues, most of the pex I see is rated at 80 psi and a maximum temperature of 200 F. Also can it be installed in a plenum ceilng  ?.Thanks for the help, I would say it could not be used in this application , but the experts would know better.Also I beleive that in mA. all equipment connected to a heating boiler must be rated 250 deg F.

Any comments are appreciated

Ed

Comments

• eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Pex

First check with the school and engineer followed by the building inspector, if its not approved for use then that will answer the question quickly. There are a couple of manufactures that manufacture a plenum rated pex or pex al pex. Typically the manufactures that offer a fire sprinkling system have also gotten certifications for plunum installations. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    manufacturers should respond

I am suprised no manufacturers have responded to this. Two basic questions, can pex be used in a plenum ceiling? and can it be used in a std. hot water heatng system with temperatures of 200 and higher?
  • bb_5
    bb_5 Member Posts: 15
    PEX

You will need to check your local codes to ensure that PEX can be used in commercial buildings.

As far as the plenum, most PEX needs to be spaced 18" on center, but needs to have the ASTM E84 standard on the tubing print line.

You should be able to check most manufactures web sites.

good luck,

bb
This discussion has been closed.