Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The burner turns on, runs for a little while, then shuts off and starts all over again

crash2009
crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
I don't know if it shuts down on 1-pressure, 2-low water, or 3-satisfied thermostat.  1-The pressure guage 0-30 stays at 1.5 all the time.  2-When watching the waterline in the sight glass during this process it starts out at little less than half way, then gradually drops down to about an inch from the bottom, then the burner shuts off, and the waterline goes back up to a little less than half,,I do not hear anything from the feeder during this process.  3-Sometimes, usually on a not so cold day I think that the thermostat does shut it down. 

So far you have told me the boiler is piped incorrectly.  No Equalizer or Hartford.  I just need to make it through the winter without springing a leak. 

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    all of these are easy to test ...

if you consistantly find that you are seeing the same cycle, change 1 thing and see if anything changes ..

pressure... turn your pressuretrol up significantly (by using the screw on the top) .. if the boiler runs longer, then the problem is probably there .. if not, turn it back to where you started and move on .. (fyi, if your gauge is always at 1.5, that's pointing at a dirty/clogged pigtail or bad gauge)

water: .. same thing .. put more water into the boiler .. another inch or so in the gauge and see if it runs longer .. if yes, then your normal waterline is probably a touch low for when the steam is out in the system .. if it doesn't run longer, drain back to your original line and move on

t-stat: .. same thing .. crank it up to 85dF .. if the boiler runs longer, it's probably a t-stat problem .. if not and you have tried all of the above .. something else is obviously amiss and you need to call someone to troubleshoot further.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • crash2009
    That should keep me busy for awhile

Thanks, Does the boiler need to be shutdown to add water or remove pressure gauge
  • jpf321
    remove prssure gauge??

i never suggested that you remove the pressure gauge ..

and i think you can add water very slowly and gently while the boiler is on... autofeeders do it all the time .. but others have said to never add water to a boiler that isn't cooled down.

maybe your best bet is to call a professional, see if there are any near you by clicking on Find a Professional on this website and navigating to your state and city (not by entering your ZIP code)

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

• TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    time lapsed?

what is the time frame for the following:  When watching the waterline in the sight glass during this process it starts out at little less than half way, then gradually drops down to about an inch from the bottom, then the burner shuts off, and the waterline goes back up to a little less than half,, ?
    beautiful Conshohocken PA
  • crash2009
    time lapsed?

I just got back from the boiler room.  I measured and recorded the time, water level distance in inches from the bottom of the sight glass(it is a 6 inch glass).  the current pressure reading on the 0-30 at that time, and burner status.  There was one event that I did not record and that was the damper opening, just before 5:29
  • crash2009
    clink explanation

At 5:39 while the gauge was at 1 3/4" I heard a little clink, like someone tapped on a pipe.  Its just an observation, I don't know if its important.  I don't know if it was from within the boiler or in the return line.  I have heard it before while watching tv in the room beside the boiler room. I hear that clink through the return in the photo.
  • TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    low water

surely your boiler is cutting off on low water.  if the water leaves and then returns later, you probably don't have a leak. 

but that is some mean looking near boiler piping.  I would venture to say that a ton of water is leaving as wet steam, as probably most on this site would concur.
    beautiful Conshohocken PA
  • Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    Is that what...

is called bullheaded tee?

You really need to rearrange your near boiler to reflect manufacturer's recomendations and include an H-loop.  
  • jpf321
    you haven't recorded...

you haven't recorded your thermostat data .. only one thing can clearly be said about your data .. your pressure readings are incorrect. you should be starting at 0 and probably not ever work up to 1.5 within 20mins.

you need to provide the data regarding your thermostat before any other thoughts or conclusions are suggested.

• crash2009
    Thermostat data

The thermostat is set at 72 F.  It has been set at that number for 4 months.  It is in one of those locked clear plastic enclosures.  I have the only key.  Do you need to know the reported temperature fluctuation of the thermostat during the cycle?  If so I will set up 2 phones, have my wife report to me while I am in the boiler room writing all this down.  I will have to do this later...about 7 or 8 hours from now.
  • jpf321
    really just need...

we really just need the t-stat temp when the boiler goes on .. and the temp when the boiler goes off .. not the setting (which you said was 72) .. but the start temp and end temp beginning and end of cycle. 

• crash2009
    Thermostat start and stop temp

Thermostat starts burner at 71 F and stops it at 72 F.  Roberts Plumbing is here right now to conduct further testing.
  • crash2009
    Boiler shutdown

set for later in the week.  He mentioned something about the anticipator possibly not being set correctly.  Main vents nonoperational.  Blow-down not working.   New pressure relief valve.  Test the feeder. 
  • jpf321
    did they

say anything about your 1.5psi gauge reading? cleaning the pigtail?

if the t-stat says 71 when it starts, and is set for 72, then I would presume that the t-stat is properly turning off the boiler when it reaches the set temp of 72.

• crash2009
    Pigtail

Yes on the pigtail, and replace the gauge if nescesary.  I forgot to mention that.  I am going to ask him to check the operation of everything tapped into that boiler.  As well as cleaning out that mud-loop thing we have, and put something on there that I can flush by myself. 

In the spring we are going to pipe this thing right if there is nothing major wrong with the boiler.  Or replace it if nescesary.  I want to thank-you for your help with this.  It is nice to be able to somewhat understand and speak the boiler language. 

Ken
  • jpf321
    good luck with all

keep us posted!

• crash2009
    edited January 2010
    Wait till spring

This discussion has been closed.