Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators and Hot water Baseboards in Old Home

ktuite
ktuite Member Posts: 2
Hello, I live in a 200 year old home and we recently changed out some the old hot water radiators to hot water basebords. We made this change just to give us more space in certain rooms. The system all works on one zone in a loop system (that's what the installer told me). The rooms that have the old radiators get VERY warm and comfortable and the rooms that have the new baseboards are FREEZING. The radiators are warm to the touch all day and the baseboards are cold to the touch after the initial pump of water goes through them. I don't know if I should call the heating guy to come back and fix the problem or if this is an expected change when you have a mix of radiators and baseboards. The furnace is a new high efficiency kind.

I am not experienced with heating systems at all -- so this is all out of my league. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Mixed metals

If the old radiators are cast iron and the baseboard is copper they shouldn't be in the same zone. Copper heats and cools nine times faster than cast iron. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • ktuite1
    ktuite1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info

Yikes, thanks for the info! I guess I have to call the guy that installed it and have the 2 systems put on different zones.

Will that be a big ordeal for the installer to put it in 2 different zones?
  • Erik_2
    Erik_2 Member Posts: 5
    Radiators

the system must be piped in parallel, the radiator that are not getting hot are probable air locked if they are not getting the water temp that the other radiators are getting, or they are just not enough radiator for the room, but if they are not getting hot i would bet that they just need to be bleed out. good luck, hope this helps, i am a radiant heating contractor
This discussion has been closed.