Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Radiator is cold.

Hello -

I am writing on behalf of my mother who lives in a large old house in the Boston area. The house is heated by hot water radiators, one of which is completely cold all of the time, all of the others work fine. We have bled the radiator to no avail.

Also, this is a two story (4 bedroom) home, with the affected radiator being on the 2nd (top) floor.

Neither of us know anything about water radiators. Any ideas of how to remedy this?

Julia

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    The radiator valve may be off

If the radiator is bled and no heat first thought is the radiator valve is off. How long has this been an issue? Is it a modern pumped system or is it still a gravity system? I have seen a few of these still in operation in the Boston area.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • juliachicago
    juliachicago Member Posts: 22
    Slight warmth.

The valve is definitely open. And there is a tiny tiny amount of heat coming in, it's slightly warm (while all the others on that floor are nice and toasty). When we bled it, water came out as it should have. This has been an issue for years. I believe that it is a modern pump system.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Pumping Away

Some suggestions: The pump should be on the supply header, pushing awy from the expansion tank. The expansion tank (if diaphragm type) should have 15PSI air charge when the boiler is at 0 PSI. The fill pressure should be 12-15PSI, or higher for a 4 story home. If the pump is on the return, the problem you mention is very common. 
This discussion has been closed.