Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Onix radiant heat

Options
I was wondering if anyone has used Onix Radiant tubing for a staple up floor application. I am considering it. It is advertised that it doesn't need any plates. Any information from anyone that has used it or has it or basically any suggestions on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks    Dave

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    careful

they say "it doesn't need plates" but it does not perform like the heavy plates in use today. more like the lightweights of yesterday.

There are people with tons of the stuff out there who are very happy with it. But you better do the heat load calclulations to make sure it'll work.

also, I have seen black sludge in a couple of onix systems. I personally have chosen never, ever to use rubber pipe in a heating system partly because of that.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    onix

No! period done end of story. There is no cheap way to do radiant do it right or don't bother.
  • MikeJ
    MikeJ Member Posts: 103
    Options
    I did staple up with

extruded aluminum plates. I went back and forth between onix and staple up.

I try to find all the information I could on both. I decide on staple up mostly from what I end up reading in there manuel. They say with there onix over pex you need to run the temperature of onix several degrees higher. I figure the idea with a mod con is to run your water temperature as cool as possible. Plus the extruded aluminum plates just make sense you will get better heat transfer. I have had the plates it in my house now for two months, its working great. Nice warm floors and no noise at all!! It is more work then onix but so far worth it. I installed in 1/2” pex in the big room and thinking of going with 3/8” in the smaller areas. The 3/8” should be more flexible and easier to work with.
This discussion has been closed.