Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam boiler piping

Options
3labs
3labs Member Posts: 3
Wondering if anyone is having any problems with Peerless residential steam boilers. I have a couple of them that are making steam too fast. I used the Peerless piping kit and skimmed the boilers. If I reduce the gas pressure it makes steam properly. Two of the boilers have developed holes in the cast sections. Looking to see if anyone else has come across this, or if I'm the only lucky guy out there.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    How are they sized?

Are they sized to the E.D.R.? If they are making the steam too fast it sounds like they are over sized.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    holy sections

could there be something [chlorides ?] in the water, or salt/chemicals stored near the boiler? even a dried out floor drain leaking sewer gas could cause early failure. an out of control waterline could also give the sections some repeated thermal shock. maybe there is a water-softener on the feed line.

if it makes steam too fast, does it short-cycle? what do they say at peerless tech support [610-369-3208]? fast boiling should not necessarily be a fault. have you clocked the meter? peerless may offer the mod-pack burner hi-lo-hi burner control for this model.--nbc
  • 3labs
    3labs Member Posts: 3
    Options
    so far nothing

NBC,

If it was one house I would consider a leaking valve or floor drain. I just went and looked at boiler #4 with a problem. It's a scary thing when Peerless tells you "you shouldn't have followed the instructions. They were supposed to change them." We've had the Peerless rep in the basement staring at them. And they can't come up with any ideas. An old oil guy in the supply house said he started plugging off two burners on his boilers after 40 years! Thanks for getting back.
This discussion has been closed.