Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Newbie here with some questions

Kungur
Kungur Member Posts: 49
Just came across this site! Looks like what I am in need of.

I have been kicking around the idea of switching to radiant floor heat. This would be a staple up situation for the 1st. floor.

My first question would be what would be a good book to educate myself more fully? I would be using a solid fuel boiler with the system I end up with.

Also I noticed a few posts that recommended staying away from internet "stores" that handle supplies. Any specific reason?

Thanks

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited December 2009
    Piece of Advice

Welcome to the site. All the major manufactures of radiant heat products have plenty of lit on their web sites. I am one of those are totally against internet sites and homeowners installing heating systems without at the minimum working with a qualified contractor.

Internet sites give you the basic principles. They give you just enough information to purchase the products they sell. There are basic formulas for the supplies you need based on square footage and these sites are great for giving you that tool. Other than that, I feel you get smoke and mirrors.  They really have nothing more to offer. May I asked what you mean by staple up? Who would be doing the radiant heat loss and design? Who would be providing you a control strategy? How would you zone? Who would be balancing the system after it was installed? Who would you call on a cold winters night when you needed service?

The best piece of advice I could give you is to call a few of the local plumbing and heating supply houses in your area. Find out what lines of radiant they carry. Ask them for their recommendations on contractors. Talk with those contractors and see if they will work with you if your budget is tight. Installing the tubing and/or transfer plates is really not that hard but when it comes to the heat loss and design I would work with a professional.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • SteveJC
    SteveJC Member Posts: 1
    Is there a good book?

First, I also would like to know if there is a good comprehensive book on radiant floor heat.

Second, In regards to staying away from the Internet stores. I had one of them "design" a system. After their design, and shortly before I was going to purchase, I stumbled on this site. Once I read posts on this site I was, and am, convinced their system was unsafe.

I feel you can use the DYI sites offering system design only for the purchase of individual components. I would never trust them with design, it differs too much from what professionals on this site advocate.

I completed the first phase of my install 2 months ago. I am extremely happy with it . Now looking forward to getting phase 2 of my project online mid January.

Best! Steve
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Book For Radiant

If both of you would like a Wirsbo CDAM (the radiant bible) send me an e-mail with your addresses and I would be happy to send it. While it is put out by Uponor it has everything in it concerning radiant. I just recevied from my darling wife for Christmas, the second edition of Modern Hydronic Heating if you want to drop a couple hundred bucks its a winner.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Right Here

There are some excellent books for a primer, How Come?, Modern Hydronic Heating, Pumping Away. Start there then work your way up to some more complexity in the library. Dan is an excellent writer in that these books are easy to understand.

Gordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Right Here

There are some excellent books for a primer, How Come?, Modern Hydronic Heating, Pumping Away. Start there then work your way up to some more complexity in the library. Dan is an excellent writer in that these books are easy to understand.

Gordy
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Modern hydronics

The RPA is a great place to start for education for radiant heating. The offer many classes and online trainings.  Lots of great books too.

Also, I think John Seigenthalers (?) Modern Hydronics is an excellent resource.

http://www.hydronicpros.com/publications/index.php?id=24

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
This discussion has been closed.