Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CPVC Pipe and Snow Melt

An owner of a car wash contacted me about hooking up a heat source to his snow melt system already installed in the slabs of the Entrance and Exit Aprons.   Owner installed, what he says, is Sch 80 CPVC distribution piping from boiler room out to the  3 sets of remote manifolds.  I've never seen CPVC, or PVC for that matter, used in a closed loop water heated system and have a question.

Provided local code permits CPVC piping material in a closed loop heating system, (I'll check before proceeding), is CPVC compatible with a PPG filled system operating at about 130°F?  I am thinking 40% PPG / 60% water mix. 

Comments?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Non oxygen barrier tube.

PVC, and CPVC are not oxygen barrier tube. However, if you are using all non ferrous components, it shouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, IF the fluid is being checked annually for pH, and it is maintained above 7.o, but less than 9, you should be OK. The problems arise when the fluid is not properly maintained, and then all ferrous components head south, permanently....

Be careful of who's boiler is used. What you have is essentially an open system.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    correct me if I am wrong....

I really thought that Glycol and CPVC was a No-No... hence the reason that you could not use glycol in Blazemaster sprinkler pipe or else it would eat through it in short order. Glycerin was what I was instructed to use in cpvc.... ty,kpc
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Ethylene Glycol is OK

Propylene glycol is so so...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Merc
    Merc Member Posts: 4
    service tech

I wouldn't do this at all.  I have seen several snowmelts (and radiant heat) piped in cpvc. They all failed because of the antifreeze in them.  Propylene glycol will attack the pipe and ethylene glycol is poisonous (and probably not code in your area) even if it wouldn't hurt the pipe.  Possibly glycerine would work.  It has been used in some older solar systems I have seen.
  • Al_11
    Al_11 Member Posts: 34
    CPVC

I have only dealt with a couple of car washes, both times the owners either installed or modified the systems and both were amazingly screwed up. It must be something in the water or glycol solution but they will spend any amount of time and money rather then pay to have it done right. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.