Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Our master bedroom vent clangs when the hot air heat comes on

Options
guppy62
guppy62 Member Posts: 3
The master bedroom vent clangs when the heat comes on. It goes on for quite a while and will eventually stop; for a while. When the heat turns off the clang is back. The basement is finished so I do not have access to the heat ducts. PLEASE HELP! I am a light sleeper and wake up every time this happens.

TIA,

Kim

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    clanging register

can you clarify the type of heating system you have--forced air with ducts/registers--hot water heat with radiators--steam heat--also with radiators?--nbc
  • guppy62
    Options
    forced air

I have a forced air heater. House was built 12 years ago.
  • guppy62
    Options
    ducts and registers

I have ducts and registers. I have moved the damper back and forth in the duct as well. This is not loose or shaking. I can hold it steady and still have the ping.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    It sounds like you have

expansion and contraction noises in the duct work because you say it happens when the heat comes on (expansion) and it happens when it shuts off (contraction). I recommend you have an HVAC contractor check it out as there are things that can be done to stop this from happeneing. The lack of acess to the duct work may present a problem. Is this happening anywhere else in the house?
This discussion has been closed.