Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cotton shirts

Options
tgm
tgm Member Posts: 25
just wondering if anyone could point me towards the maine or nfpa code that bans synthetic fibers? i'm having a bit of a.... discussion with my employer. they are mandating that i wear the shirts even though i've expressed concerns of it melting to me

Comments

• tgm
    Options
    am

i wrong for thinking that shirts should be made of either cotton, wool, or some other natural fiber?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    No you are

not wrong, however I have been seeking some actual rule that says what is required. I have a call in to our local safety facility and they have not returned my request.

Most synthetic fibers are flammable and should not be worn when working on equipment which has the potential to cause a garment to catch on fire. Then again everything will burn under the right conditions.

Let me if I can get an official ruling and get back to you
  • tgm
    Options
    I

Thank you for your time sir. I have only been able to find the OSHA standard that really only applies to guys that work with very high voltages so work still is saying they wont supply cotton shirts. The head safety guy for all of new england and canada within my company will be by the office next week and am just trying to get all my ducks in a row to meet with him.
This discussion has been closed.