Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How much pitch is proper for 1pipe system with baseboard radiators?

Hey all,

All but one of the radiators in my house were converted from the big iron radiators to baseboard radiators?

How much pitch is appropriate for these, and how can you tell..I put the level on and it has a slight pitch towards the valve, but it seems like there's always a little noise, like a little screw rattling around while its heating, could this be caused by a little water in the rad?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Do you have

The Lost Art of Steam Heating?  If not, do yourself a favour and order it -- it's available through the "shop" tab on this site.  In it, on page 98 and following, you will find a very good discussion of baseboard radiation vs. one pipe steam -- and I do mean vs.  The correct pitch is determined from the BTU output or EDR of the baseboard and the diameter of the pipe in it.  It's rather fussy; there is an optimum pitch and either too much or too little is going to give trouble.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • 1PIPERADS
    1PIPERADS Member Posts: 3
    RE:

You're not kidding...this thing is so temperamental, Just ordered the book!

Is there a general rule of thumb though in rgds to pitch?
  • DavidK_2
    DavidK_2 Member Posts: 131
    a little

"little noise, like a little screw rattling around while its heating"

might just be thermal expansion. Maybe some of the fins are loose, or the baseboard itself is a little loose. Something might be rubbing against something else as it heats up.
This discussion has been closed.