Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

infrared thermometer

I just purchased a VEI Scout 1 infrared thermometer. I was planning to use for testing radiator steam traps. Has anyone had any experience with these - are they reliable enough to tell me good traps from bad.

Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    edited November 2009
    IR Thermometer

I'm not familiar with that brand /model.  I brought an IR thermometer home from work as we use them to take the temperature of equipment at different stages.  As most of them do, it had a laser pointer to help you get the gun on the place where you wanted to get a temperature reading. You need to play with it a bit at first but once you get a feel for it, I found it was a big help checking traps and really speeded the job up. The IR thermometers  are pretty accurate and after playing with the gun a bit you get to know what temperature  to expect and can easily tell which trap is bad. If you  have a hard time getting a good reading, check them when the radiators begin to get steam after a cold start.

Now all I have to do is convince the management they need to get an IR camera! :)

- Rod
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646

thanks for the reply rod
This discussion has been closed.