Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity furnace not turning on

Options
I had this problem sporadically last year, but this year after initially turning on, my gravity furnace is not firing up.  The pilot is lit and the connections from my Honeywell Powerpile thermostat to the furnace appear to be sound.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Do you have

a multimeter with a millivolt scale on it? If so I will send you a procedure for testing the system if you e-mail me at gastc@cox.net .
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Powerpile testing procedure

is in the mail. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. 401-437-0557
  • Al_11
    Al_11 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    gas valve

It doesn't take much to stick a millivolt gas valve, it it does not come on hit it with a wrench, it it comes on, replace the valve

Al
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    That is not very sound

advice Al. There is a correct procedure for properly diagnosing a powerpile problem.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    I agree with Tim

Powerpile generator must have a consistent pilot flame to ensure the correct mv. reading at gas valve.  Using a meter will verify this.  You could have a safety switch with corroded contacts.......but if you change the valve, you will find out the hard way.  It's always good to use proper test procedures if for nothing else to learn trouble shooting skills.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.