Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

where is fhe steam

Steam boiler is working in the basement but only one of 4 apartments gets the heat.and it is apartment on second floor.I took air vents out but there is no steam coming out of opening.Please tellme where is the steam going

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    The problem isn't where the steam is going

-- it isn't going anywhere, except that one apartment.  The question is, why isn't it going to the others?  And there are a host of reasons why it might not be.  More information, please?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • sangreia
    sangreia Member Posts: 5
    Where is the steam

Radiators worked before carpets were replaced with laminated flooring.Radiators were disconected and connected again after installation.I thought that air needs to be bleed out of the system so I opened air vents and radiators worked for some time and stopped.Now I cant get them to work.
  • Radiators

I'm assuming this is a one pipe steam system. That means there is only one pipe going to each radiator.

1. Make sure all the inlet valves are fully open. (These are the "taps" on the pipe going into the radiator.)

2. The radiator has to be slightly sloped towards the inlet end. (The end where the piping is connected)  It's best to use a carpenter's bubble level and put shims under the legs to make each radiator slope towards the inlet piping. This slope  helps the condensate (water) drain back out of the radiator.

3. Make sure the air vent is pointed straight up.

There is a very good book for homeowners available on this website. It's called "We Got Steam Heat".  It's easy reading, humorous and crammed full of information about your steam system.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence
This discussion has been closed.