Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Smell

Options
BobbyC
BobbyC Member Posts: 96
I know that's a scary title!!!!  I just had a new gas fired steam boiler replaced and received alot of input in the Strictly Steam section.

I tend to notice a  gas smell when I put my nose close to the top of the front panel.  It's a Weil Mclain and the front panel stops before the top and it's open.  Smells likes it's coming from the new gas valve or in that area. 

I put soap bubbles around all the connections and I dont see any leaks and just wanted to know if what I'm smelling normal?

It's a standing pilot also. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    If it is Natural Gas

call the local gas company and have them check it out. If propane call your propane dealer. It is not normal to smell gas in the air around gas equipment. Do this immediately and do not wait until tomorrow.
  • BobbyC
    Options
    It is natural Gas

Dont get me wrong I dont walk down to my basement and smell gas but when I put my nose within a foot from the valve I can smell it....  So this isn't normal then?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    No it is not normal

you should not be able to smell gas when equipment is operating normally. It could be a small leak around pilot tubing connection or something like that but it should be checked by a professional.
  • BobbyC
    Options
    thanks

10/4 McElwain.  I will get it looked at ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.