Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Master trapping

Got a call yesterday to go to an apartment building with 1 radiator not working (at least that's what they are saying). Disconnected supply and return - the thermostatic element in the trap was totally sheared off, from I presume water hammer. In the basement there has been a new boiler installed with a condensate pump and  an F& T master trap (I know this is incorrect) I am going  to have some problem convincing the owner that they are going to have to replace all the traps on all the radiators in the building. They are going to ask me - how come it worked for the last 3 years? (This is when the master trap was installed - I believe). I just want to get an opinion on if what I am going to say is correct. As more and more of the traps failed, you started to loose pressure differential between the supply and return, and the smaller supply and return risers are the ones going to get affected first. The longer this goes on the more radiators will not work and the more uneven the heat will be in the building. There is no quick fix - the only answer is to change all the radiator traps in the building. If I can find replacement elements for the traps I can also replace those.

Thanks for any help

Comments

This discussion has been closed.