Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THESE....

BXNYC
BXNYC Member Posts: 10
two setup.  My dad and I did these two this weekend.  So I need feedback, please.  I'm a bit worried about the one with the horizontal union, any chance of hammering?

Thanks. 

Comments

• Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    UNIONS

1. You didn't need unions.

2. Why are there plugs on third pic?

3. End of the main will be frowned upon  . .slightly . . . but you have good height. Is that pipe leaking in the first pic? Why no venting?

4. Looks like pic #2 is only 1" pipe and pic #3 is maybe 1 1/4"?

Are you in the middle of finishing the project? Just curious.
  • But what about water hammering, can it happen?

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the input.

"1. You didn't need unions." 

-We used unions based on how I kept reading about how good/easy it is for future maintenance/upgrade.

"2. Why are there plugs on third pic?"

-Yes those are plugs.  Had to put them in until I got the two air valves, which I now have.  I have included a later pic with the vents on.

"3. End of the main will be frowned upon  . .slightly . . . but you have good height. Is that pipe leaking in the first pic? Why no venting? "

-The first pic is a before (top view pic) of the 2nd pic.  No leak, just the wd-40 we sprayed.

"4. Looks like pic #2 is only 1" pipe and pic #3 is maybe 1 1/4"?"

-Damn, good eyes.  we were supposed to do only one vent, so I picked up supplies for one and my dad picked for the other.  I didn't want to go back, too much traffic.

"Are you in the middle of finishing the project? Just curious. "

Completed now.

Thanks again.
  • Nice Job!

I'm a "union man" myself.  I'd pay for a union anytime I can save bashing my fingers.

Water hammer -  I think you'll be okay. A lot of this is just trial and error. If it works - good! If it doesn't - then you have to think up a "fix"   The Gorton vents have floats so they are expecting a little water sometimes anyway.

- Rod
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    No hammer

As Rod said it should be fine and you shouldn't experience hammer. Yes, forgive my ignorance in simplicity as unions would certainly make for a quicker change-out in the future . . .good work o'er all.
This discussion has been closed.