Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Raidant heat install

I built a new home and want to try to do the heating my self. It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath and open kitchen family room. The local supply house sized the system. baseboard in   2 bedrooms 12' x 12' , and a 6 x 9 bath zone 1

The master 15' x 15' just baseboard. and the master bath 10' x 10 ' has baseboard.zone 2.

There is a slab sensor in the baths just to keep the tile floor warm Zone 3 I'm going to run 1/2'' he pex clipped up under sub-floor with foil faced insulation.

The Family room and Kitchen are open I'm going to run 1/2'' he pex under the sub-floor with a foil faced insulation zone 4

I'm going to use a TruFlow Manifold 6-Loop

I have a Viessmann Vitorond 100. with a aqua stat He wants me to use grundfos ups15-58 frc circulators. Should I use taco?

My boiler is about 6' away from a foundation wall i could put a sheet of plywood and put everything on is.

can anybody give me a sketck of the complete system or send me to a site?

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Since they sized it,

why not ask the local supply house for this? It's difficult for someone on the Internet to do a design of a job that they've never seen. Things could go very wrong. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • jackpeters
    jackpeters Member Posts: 8
    jackpeters

I Have and he has told me three different ways, and he dosent think I need an outside sencor.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Like Dan said

See the local supply house. You could have a potential for a problem here. Did you purchase the Vitorond with a Viessmann control on it packaged from the factory? If not and it is the basic boiler with a honeywell aquastat they do not install the return water injector on boilers sold with honeywell aquastats. You may not have the boiler protection you need for low water temp systems, ie,  radiant.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • jackpeters
    edited November 2009
    jackpeters

it does have a Honeywell aquastat. Do you suggest a tekmar control?
  • CMadatMe
    I'm confused

You stated that you have sensors in the floors. Is this a baseboard job with floor warming? If so, why if he sold you a Viessmann would they not just sell the Vitotronic control with Viessmanns 3-way mix vlv and vitorol control. With this you could have both a high temp curve for the baseboard and a low temp curve for the floor warming.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • CMadatMe
    edited November 2009
    I would suggest

You get the proper Viessmann controls and find a professional. This is not a DIY install. There are alot of variables here especially with floor sensors.

Do you have a heat loss? Do you have a radiant design for the floors? What was the objective when this job was originally sized? Where are you located?
  • jackpeters
    jackpeters

can I eliminate the slab sensor and put the baths on with the family room and kitchen. only the baths have a sensor
  • CMadatMe
    You really have me confused

Do the rooms with the sensors in the floors have radiant? Do they also have baseboard in those same rooms? If you have both radiant and high temp (baseboard) heating you cannot run the same water temp for the radiant as you do the baseboard.

By the nature of your questions you really need a professional before you end up costing yourself alot of money to fix down the road. That is the best advice I can give you. There are plenty of great contractors in here from all over the states and you could sure use one. Where are you located?
  • jackpeters
    jackpeters

he has the heat loss report there was very little, located in Ma The radiant heat was to be 1/2'' pex clipped under the sub floor with a foil faced insulation.
  • CMadatMe
    edited November 2009
    I would suggest

you call Paul Ross Associates they are the Viessmann rep for Mass and I'm sure they can get you in touch with a qualified contractor.  You need to start with a new heat loss not only for your high temp basboard but also for your radiant. Paul's group specializes in low temp hydronics and Viessmann. You can reach them at 413-543-8733. Tell Paul Chris from RAL gave you his number and that you are looking for a contractor in your area. Let him know that you have a Viessmann boiler already on the job. Where in Mass are you?
  • jackpeters
    Fairhaven
  • jackpeters
    change post

Chris I changed my post maybe it is a little clearer
  • CMadatMe
    Simon

I'll give you a few pieces of advice.

1.  Scrap the 1/2 tubing and run 3/8". Much easier to pull and you get the same btu ouput. The only advantage to using 1/2" is you get a 50' longer loop length.

2. Your going to kick yourself down the road for not using heat transfer plates. They give you a better response, an even distribution of heat across the floors and will give you much more flexability in controlling your comfort.

3. Don't attempt this without consulting a pro. This again is not a DYI job.

4. You can take the basboard in  those bathrooms and throw them in the garbage. If you have a radiant heat loss done you will see that you can proabably heat the bathrooms with the radiant that is in the slabs.

5. What size Vitorond 100 do you have. VR1-22 or VR1-27. Any bigger than the I would suspect that the boiler is oversized.

6. I would be using Viessmann Controls. Nice tight one packaged system. I would strongly encourge you to call Paul Ross as I stated below and find a contractor.
  • jackpeters
    Raidantwizard

Thanks for your help the boiler is a VR1-33 I'm going to check with the supply house that sold it to me. Also 3/8'' with plates makes more sense so doesn't scraping the baseboard in the baths.

I will call the company you recommended

once again Thanks for the help. Next time I'll know to post something not so complicated

Thanks Again
  • CMadatMe
    Your welcome

Great to hear and you are more than welcome. As a big fan, supplier and installer of Viessmann products as well as radiant heat I would prefer to see you back here with a smile and happy with your system then to see you back here with a frown. Best of luck and let us know how you make out.
  • CMadatMe
    Glad To Heat That You

Called the rep and are headed in the right direction. Paul and his crew are great guys and you are in great hands.
This discussion has been closed.