Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advice on Floor Indirect Radiator

Options
4Barrel
4Barrel Member Posts: 125
In an attempt to add heat to a first floor room that needs it, I am considering an indirect radiator. There is an existing floor damper set up (first pic), where it evidence suggests an indirect was once located. Piping this location back into the system would not be too much trouble. I've located what appears to be an old wall mounted indirect radiator - (second pic) from a local dealer. it's dimensions are conducive to hanging it in the rafters beneath the damper. questions:

- could this indirect be used in an underfloor mount?

- will orienting this radiator in an essentially flat position impact its heat output?

- any other considerations?

thanks in advance,

jeff

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Interesting

where would the indirect get it's air from?

Other than that, mounting a radiator horizontally shouldn't be a problem, provided -- and it's a big provided -- that it is mounted in such a way that condensate can drain out of it.  If it can be oriented so that you have an outlet at the lowest point, it should work.  Orientation won't affect the heat output, provided, as I say, it can drain.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Hmmm...

My first thought was "what a lovely radiator- why hide it?!" These wall rads are so nice because they don't take up much floor space though they are often adequate replacements with modern insulation. Not to your point, but it did make me think that any of the "indirect rads" I've seen (including one from my own home) were not styled like a wall hung radiator but more heavily finned- something like a modern car radiator? I'm no pro, but I'm guessing this design is better suited for the function- heating air, not so much objects.

Additionally, in my house you can see remnants of some rudimentary duct work, presumably meant to direct the flow of air. Without some tweaking along these lines (and I bet you could do a good job with modern materials) you might just have... a radiator in the basement.

I know there's more (and better info) on this site- can't seem to lay hands on it this moment.

Good luck,

Patrick
  • 4Barrel
    4Barrel Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2009
    Options
    could i just use

a small floor model and turn it on its side? these replies make me think that... i've got a nice little one, about 20EDR just lying around. i suppose as long as the condensate drains correctly, and that was my major consideration, that could work. and would save the expense. is there any real appreciable difference in function b/t the old indirects and a floor standing rad?

jamie - the draft (would) come from the basement, an open room. there's no duct work.

patrick - i know you're right - it is pretty cool looking. it still has the hardware between the sections for mounting. the real reason to put something in the floor is to save space. it's a small corner. a floor standing rad would look awkward.
This discussion has been closed.