Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Intermittent Burnham issue

Options
SBoston
SBoston Member Posts: 61
<span>

Having an intermittent issue with my IN5 (installed last year). The boiler kicks on and runs fine, but sometimes after it is warm the boiler will not go on. The boiler has an electronic ignition, and at first it seems that everything is working ok, the vent opens, and pilot comes on, then nothing. The pilot shuts off and the control unit has a green light that blinks twice. After 5 min it starts the sequence all over again.

The code in the manual says to check the ground wire, but everything seems tight. The pilot seems strong and I checked to see if there was any buildup. I took a very fine brass wire brush and gently cleaned everything.

Is this a sign of a bad or failing thermocouple? Or gas valve?

</span>

Comments

• Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    flame sensor

try cleaning the flame sensor with some steel wool
  • SBoston
    SBoston Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Flame sensor

BINGO - that was it.  System is working great!  Should i be cleaning this every year? Is there anything esle i should be cleaning?

The orginal installer turned out to be a real problem, so we are on our own.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Boiler needs serviced

every year and should be done by a professional along with that a combustion test on the boiler. Find a good service company that will take care of all that every year for you.
This discussion has been closed.