Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hoffman #76 on Gas Fired One-pipe system?

Options
Hi all,

A heating guy that I trust and use regularly recently installed Hoffman #76 main vents on my single pipe steam system because his supplier did not have Gorton #2s. It is gas fired with a boiler that is about 30 years old. From what I've read of the #76 I think it is the wrong vent for my system.

This guy I use is the only one in my area that I've been able to find that is knowledgable of steam. Is this going to damage the system or hasten the failure of the boiler? Is it dangerous? Should I not worry?

All the radiator vents are Hoffman 40s

TIA,

Mark

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    don't worry..

It will not harm anything..just when the boiler shuts down the induced vacuum will be broken by the sucking in of air soley by the radiator vents since the vacuum main vent won't open to assist..no harm there either..just perhaps a more noticeable sucking sound at the radiators.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Possibly

If I recall correctly, the check disk can be removed from the 76 to make it a 75. Maybe he did that. Either way no big deal.
This discussion has been closed.