Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mod Con Annual Maint

binskibok
binskibok Member Posts: 19
I'm looking to upgrade my existing oil fired boiler to a gas fired modulating condensing unit. Can anyone tell me what the annual tune-up involves? I'm leaning toward  the trianlge tube solo 110 or the Viessmann wb2b (9-26 or 35) . Does either one stand out as far a ease of programming (for homeowner should the need arise), warranties, reliabililty, and servicability? Any info you share would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    edited September 2009
    Annual Maintenance on W-M Ultra 3 boiler

I do no know about Viessmann boilerrs, but for my W-M Ultra 3, a mod|con boiler, the requirements are on pages 74 to 83 of their instalaltion manual. It requires quite a bit of work and tools such as pH meter, torque wrench, combustion analyzer.

[url=http://www.weil-mclain.com/downloads/ug3_boiler_manual.pdf]http://www.weil-mclain.com/downloads/ug3_boiler_manual.pdf
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Almost all Mod/Con boilers

require an annual cleaning which can take from 45 minutes to up to 3 hours depending on the package. They also should have a combustion test done annually. New boilers and Furnaces are much more service heavy if you are going to get good performance out of them. Many have found out the hard way that failure to clean results in heavy cleaning labor and some parts replacement.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Take the Vitodens

I'm going to assume by the models you gave that you are talking about the new Vitodens 200. I'm assuming because that is the closet product that matches the model numbers you provided.

If you are comparing that boiler to the triangle its a no brainer. The Vitodens hands down. It's simple

2 yrs parts vs 1 yrs parts. Limitied lifetime warranty vs 10yr warranty.

The Vitodens 200 continually looks at incoming gas mixture and pressure to keep firing clean and at it highest efficicency. The Triangle does not do this.

The Vitodens control is multi function. Meaning you can do what you want with it. Want phone access, we can do that. Need mult water temps we can do that. Want solar, it' set up for that. Want to remote the control upstairs so you can see and control the boiler. We can do that too. The triangle, sorry but you have to start purchasing other controls.

I do have a question? What is the application? I ask because the size of the boiler I believe you have is covered by the Vitodens 100 if this is a 1 temp heating system. That boiler fits better but you do give up the control and burner/gas vlv feature.

I''ve attached the manuals to both,...Happy reading.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Bigbob
    Bigbob Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2009
    Prestige is the only way to go

Viessman is a well made product - but Triangletube has a vertical self cleaninig heat exchanger - no maintenance. We have not had to clean one in 4 yrs of use on commercial jobs!

I like the Triangletube control, gives plenty of adjustability for almost all residential applications.

No primary/secondary piping needed. Save electricity on running that extra pump. Also can vent with PVC pipe.

Triangletube has a program for $300 - you get an extended Parts & Labor warranty for 10 years or normally if installed by a factory trained installer they will give you 2 yr parts warranty. I would not recommend buying the extended warranty only because these boilers have been so problem free.

Open up the cabinet of both. The Prestige is empty - there are 3 sensors(the same part) a low water cutoff - pressure switch, blower gas valve, transformer and control. Easiest to service and least amount of parts needed. A heat exchanger could be changed in 45 minutes. 

For my $$$ the Triangletube is the best value - no cleaning maintenance, and easiest to service, and by the way is much less $$$ than the Viessman.

If you need to get into more parameters on the control - call tech support and ask for a "control supplement".
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    You must have not seen or heard

of the new Vitodens 200  recently released in August or the new Vitodens 100 released in July. Price Point is right there and I can pull the burner off the boiler in about 3 minutes. 5 Screws and your in. No more pump inside like the older Vitodens. The control far exceeds triangles.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • binskibok
    binskibok Member Posts: 19
    Vitodens 100 or 200????

Vitodens wb1b9-26 or the 200 series   Details as follows  I have a  2000 sf cape in Farmington Ct which needs a boiler replacement. I just had CNG run natural gas to house.My current situation:  50 year old oil fired boiler with DHW provided thru the coil. The 1st floor has black pipe with convectors and 2nd floor has copper baseboard. The heat loss calc of 81k includes basement and accounts for minimal insulation on some sections of the house (1st floor ) that have not been updated.  The new setup will have 3 zones (1sr floor , 2nd floor and basement) with a 40 gal Triangle Tube  smart 40 indirect for DHW.  The average oil consumption over the  last 3 years is 950 gallons . More details:  The first floor has 1" black pipe (LR,DR) connecting to convectors reduced to  a 3/4" baseboard added in the middle of the loop returning to 3/4" black pipe and convectors (Bath and Bedroom) . Living room has 240 sf with 2 convectors (44.5 "x 4.25" x 20") , dining room 115sf with one convector (48.5"x 4.25" x 20") family room with vaulted  ceiling has 142 sf with 19' of baseboard, the kitchen heat was removed to allow for an open floor  plan with dining/family room. The bath is 55sf with one convector (28.5 x 4.25" x20")   and the bedroom is 167sf with one convector 56.5 x4.25"x20" The second  floor all 3/4" copper has a 195 sf bedroom with 12' baseboard a 54 sf bath with 4' BB and another bedroom of 255 sf with 12' BB. I would  like to eventually replace the baseboard and convectors with some cast iron in the future. What other considerations should I have before deciding which Vitodens? Would I be shortchanging myself installing the 100 instead of the 200???
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The Viessmann Vitodends 200 with

Lamda Pro is the way to go, with outdoor reset with the Viotronic control you have a lot of flexibility.
This discussion has been closed.