Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what type of boiler should i install

I just built a new garage with infloor heat and wondering if i should use a low mass boiler. My new garage is 3000 sq. feet attached to my old which is 1300 sq. feet, both infloor slab heat. The boiler will heat both zones. I am limited to oil, we dont have gas and electric boiler isnt an option. There is no domestic to heat and it will be a closed loop system. Both slabs are insulated with 3" extreme styrofoam and foundations are well insulated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    It seems to me...

I am not a professional.

It seems to me that the major advantage of a low-mass boiler is its ability to respond to a call for heat more quickly. If your loads are tubing in a slab, this will not matter, since the mass of the slab will dwarf the mass of the boiler. (I am referring to thermal mass, of course.)

Another advantage of a low mass boiler, if it is sufficiently low, is that it need not be insulated much, since there is so little heat in it to be saved from one demand for heat and the next. My boiler holds only three quarts of water.

I do not suppose there are many, if any, oil fired mod|con boilers, but are there any modulating ones? If there are, you might well want to get one and install outdoor reset on it.
This discussion has been closed.