Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Non 02 barrier tubing

My home has 2800 ft of 1/2" non 02 barrier tubing In a "Maxxon Thermafloor Underlayment" pour that is 1 1/4" thick. I want to redesign the system to get better control. Current tax credits and utility rebates could cover alot of the expense. The problem is the (in my opinion) the destrutive nature of this tubing. I have had "bronze"  pump failures in the past. I lost two B&G LR15B pumps over 4 seasons. (The current PL30B pump has held up longer but it is loud and oversized.) I would appreciate input on how best to work with this tubing.

BTW The tubing is arrayed in three zones (fourteen 200' loops) in a 1400 sq ft home. It has been heated with a 50 gallon gas water heater since it was installed in 1999.

I procrastinated on this project because I felt I could buy alot of gas with the price difference between a 50 gallon gas water heater and the system I always wanted.

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Separate the tubing

with a properly sized stainless flat plate exchanger and use a stainless pump on the tube side. 
  • digger_2
    digger_2 Member Posts: 39
    Non 02 barrier tubing

I need to decide what zone and PD valves to use. I worry about the possibly ferrous valve stems being corroded like the pump shafts on my failed B&G LR-15B bronze pumps that were imstalled originally. Both failed after only two seasons. I will use some form of treatment going forward.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Does anyone know ...

Does anyone know if a Spriovent or a Taco 4900 series air eliminator could remove the dissolved air faster than it leaks through the tubing?
  • digger_2
    digger_2 Member Posts: 39
    Non 02 barrier tubing

I would think any properly installed separator would work. This homemade separator (see attachment) has worked on my system for 10 yrs. It is definitely not a technological masterpiece.
This discussion has been closed.