Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a water heater

Seth_5
Seth_5 Member Posts: 58
I just posted about my tankless that sprung a leak. But I have an idea that maybe I will want to go with an electric heater. I already have a 220 line for a water heater that used to be there. My question is, if I do that, what should I do about my boiler during the summer? Some people have told me that boilers do not like to be cold. They may crack and start to leak after the summer season is over right after starting it back up. My boiler right now (summer) stays warm because it heats the water too. Its a very old GE boiler from the 1930's. The tank is the only thing thats old. I need it to last for at least 2 more years.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    If I was a Betting Man

I would say that the savings from installing a complete new system today would pay you back what you will spend in 2 years plus in fuel!

It's time to get out of the 30's and into 2009. Sorry but reality hurts sometimes. Its time to replace that boiler today vs in the middle of Jan when you can't get a good contractor and your stuck with the guy waiting for the phone to ring.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Seth_5
    $$

I dont have the money for that yet. So, would it be bad not to use your boiler in the summer? Drain it in April or so, then refill it when it gets cold so I can heat my house? Im in New England.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Let me ask you a question?

What are you spending on fuel costs per month on that old boiler? 

Alot of contractors offer financing programs?

What you would save on fuel costs would probably pay for the boiler. You should really look into it. What would hurt..I'm only saying you should look at all your avenues before crossing the bridge.

We use cold start boilers all the time now but without seeing the condition of your 1930's vintage I would not recommend anything to you besides looking at replacing it. That would be giving you bad advice and that's is not what we are here for.

At the least you need to bite the bullet, pay for a service call and have a qualified heating technician look at the boiler before you decide to do anything to it.

The experience you went through today should show you the light I hope.

Best of Luck
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Seth_5
    I Spend

about 150 gallons a month during the winter and about  35 gallons during the summer. Its 80.5% efficient at its last cleaning.

I know its hard to tell online like this about my boiler, but the only thing thats from the 1930's that means anything to keep it running is the tank. Everything else is newer. The tank looks real nice inside, almost new. Its because it was taken care of during its lifetime.

Thnaks for all the input,

SG
This discussion has been closed.