Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main line vent

Pin
Pin Member Posts: 61
I have a Gorton #1 as my main line vent now and I am wondering whether I'm getting enough venting and maybe add additional vents.

I only have one main line pipe which is 2 inches and it runs approx 60 feet through the whole entire basement ceiling. My return is 1 inch and maybe a little bit less than 60 feet. This is a 3-family house with about 12 or 13 radiators total.

Is a single Gorton #1 enough for this capacity? If not, how many Gorton #1 and/or Gorton #2 should I add to be cost effective? I do not want to go crazy and overdo it if the benefit won't outrun the cost.

Thanks!

Comments

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    adding venting

it sounds as if you have 120 ft. of piping from boiler to end and back, so i would add at least one gorton #2. i do not think 2 #1's will be enough, so it is best to be over-vented, rather than pay the fuel co. to sqeeeze the air from the pipes, and the boiler steam chest out through small openings. you can make up a tree of tees to accomodate the pair of vents. these weeks of the shoulder season are when the benefits of ample venting come into their own. if the boiler only needs to run 10 min. every hour, then why add another 10 min. onto that to get the air out?--nbc
  • Is the vent located

where the steam main changes to the return?

If so, use two Gorton #2 vents.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253

Yeah the vent is located on the supply line about 4-5 inches from the end elbow that goes to the return line
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
    main line vent

Steamhead is always right on target. Have 45' of 2" main line w/ 2-#2 Gortons and 1 Hoffman 4A at the end set back 1' and 10" high on a tree. Used the $10 venting guide that I purchased through this web site to do the open port vs. main line vent time study. 3/4" open port was 5:15min, w/ vents was 5:05min. More than close enough. For 60' I'd recommend the time study, then 2 #2 Gortons plus maybe a #1 gorton in addition. Pex supply was best price I found. Best of luck.

Oh, and Steamhead, if you remember a question of mine you answered, yes, went back and readjusted the extended main line pitch to parallel flow rather than counter flow. System works perfectly. Million thanks.

regards, Mark Z
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24

This discussion has been closed.