Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam return water too cold?

Kool Rod
Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
LOL- I think I've met this guy before. Told me the reason you had to insulate steam pipes was so the steam didn't freeze! :)

Comments

• cold fresh air near condensate pump on steam sys.

I am going to a call tomorrow where a plumber was on the job and claimed the reason the sight glass was dirty was due to the condensate pump being adjacent to a fresh air intake for the boiler room. Saying that the water was too cold going back into the boiler. I have not heard of such a thing. Makes no sense to me. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks for all responses. Tony
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,783
    Solids

What makes the water dirty is solids left behind after the water boils out of the system. Steam leaks let the water excape and fresh water has to be added. After awhile you end up with muddy water... The problem is steam leaks in the system.
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

sounds like the plumber should check into an insane asylum

• Thanks to those who replied so far. I knew it sounded bizarre, and I never heard of that, but hey, we learn new things everyday. Tony
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    el freezo

ON THE other hand i definitely have come across frozen wet returns.
  • Maybe not completely bizarre

When water cools it absorbs oxygen, so the condensate tank getting cold will bring in more oxygen and corrosion into the system. This is why it is good to insulate even wet returns.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
This discussion has been closed.