Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Warmboard

Ray_13
Ray_13 Member Posts: 15
Does anyone have experience with Warmboard? How does it match up to climate panels? Seems like a good product, 1/2" pex compared to 5/16" with climate panels. The aluminum seems to be good for heat transfer. How about expansion noises with a hardwood floor?
Thanks

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

No direct experience, but from an engineering standpoint I LOVE it! SOLID layer of a highly conductive material in intimate contact with the tube with at least as much intrinsic insulation value below than is ever likely to be installed above.

Likely the most cost-effective product for a first-class radiant floor job in new construction but I have that it can cause some "learning curve" problems between the framing and heating subs requiring more time on both of their parts until both are familiar.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    warmboard lay pex first

One of my customers did a large home w warmboard. One mistake he says he made was not laying the pex before the walls went up. It would have made running to manifolds easier and less custom routing.

There are also only certain types of pex that supposedly should be used. We used an alumapex from Vanguard. Using this type of pex limits your choice of manifolds because the aluminum and brass can not come in contact with each other - dis-similar metals. Specially designed manifold fittings had to be used.

Sometimes, you have to route around a wall, tub or shower drain. We actually used to create a heated seat in shower. I would think the key advantages would be it's integral construction. I like climate panel better even though it uses 5/16 pex and the loop lengths would be shorter and more numerous. I allows more flexibility, especially when mixing floor coverings - tile, wood, carpet, etc.

If you have primarily large square open areas, I think warmboard might be the best choice. If you have lots of closets, small bedrooms, baths- different floor coverings, its difficult to work with. Look at pics and you'll understand.

As with other products, the more experience, the better you become at it. Maybe this guy was a newbie.

This pics should help you understand some of the benefits and problems that are inherent with its design.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    performance is second to none

look at these IR pics and you will notice the even temperature spread of the Warmboard even with 12" oc spacing compared to the transfer plate at 8". The plates are under the subfloor, of course.

As you know it is a structuralmpanel, not an over the top. I believe it is the only all in one panel on the market.

It's been a few years but I have done four homes with WB. The largest at 4400 sq. ft.

I waited till the end to tube all my jobs. Just too much construction risks. One job took over a year and a half till flooring went down. I didn't want the pex exposed that long.

For sure use PAP it installs and stays put much better and less expansion potential.

If you do tube first, plan on some thin throw away covering. Maybe some "seconds" paneling or 1/8 masonite.

It does work best with square corners. Rooms with angled walls require a lot of routering.

If routering will be needed but a powerful 1-1/2 HP or more and a few carbide bits. Plenty of face protection and ear muffs:)

Cutting the aluminum does disconnect the transfer somewhat. After seeing this I might lay some aluminum foil in the custom cuts.

I built some custom router templetes for going around HVAC floor vents, etc.

Make sure your framers are "on board" The sheets are heavy to handle and it does require some care and thought to get everything aligned.

You will be very pleased with the performance and the great nailing substrate it provides. And an incrediably strong floor. Some consider wider joist spacing also.

It would be my first choice if I were to build anew.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• we've been involved with dozens of warmboard projects. as with any on-top tubing method, there is puncture risk, but it can be dealt with.

For performance, it's top of the line.. blows climate panel out of the water. Ditto for installation ease if you do the tubing early or don't have a lot of walls.

Use an approved pex-Al-pex and appropriate water temps and expansion noise should be a non-issue.
  • Ray_13
    Ray_13 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks

Thanks guys, I've done a lot of aluminum panels under the sub-floor, tubing above floor in gypcrete, and climate panels. The warmboard just looked like the way to go. The people at Warmboard were very helpful, I went over how I wanted things zoned, all the different floor coverings I'll be using. They were able to lay out the panels so that I can have different temperatures wherever needed. I'm planning on using a GB142 with a P/S with injection stations for my different temps.

I've already planned on running the PAP before the walls go up, and then masonite to protect.

Here's something that should probably be a new thread, but has anyone else had issues with the manifold that comes with the GB142. I'm on my third on one particular job, my supply house guy tells me Buderus "out sources" the manifolds.

Thanks
  • Steve_151
    Steve_151 Member Posts: 5
    Warmboard can

zone every room for you. That way you can wait to run tubing until the last minute without worring too much about the interior walls if the floor plan is a little open without small hallways. We've also cut the bottom plates ran the tubing and then blocked over the cut plate with a full block spanning to opposing studs.
    Make sure to catch that those outside runs are not covered by the exterior walls once the sheetrock is up...
    We have had great success with wamboard and feel it to be a superior product, with good support from the company.
    Plus it's manufactured just 3 hours south of us........
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    gb manifold

Seems like they don't pressure test. I'v experienced leeks at the thread connections(presure relief, temp. guage) on both of the boilers that I have installed.
This discussion has been closed.