Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

unpleasant smell associated w/ steam heat in one specific room

Options
THANK YOU !!!! Larry. That ancient radiator was filthy w/ grime, dirt, kitchen produced residues, and dust. I cleaned it w/ tcp solution and got rid of an old cover made from a dense fiber board that was either part of the problem or absorbed that smell also. With that gone and radiator somewhat cleaned there is a huge improvement. I'm going to do one more super thorough cleaning to clinch it!

Comments

• Andy Smyth
    Andy Smyth Member Posts: 8
    Options
    smell associated with 1928 2 pipe steam heat system

Chicago area 30 unit building built in 1928. My unit has 5 2pipe steam radiators and (only) the kitchen radiator seems to produce an unpleasant odor. Another odd thing is 4 of the five radiators (all located on outside walls) get what appears to be plaster dust eminating up out of the walls and onto to the wood floors under or right near these radiators during the winter season. Does anyone know what either of these problems might be?
  • Larry C_13
    Larry C_13 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Kitchen radiator smell.

I would suspect something that was spilled or sprayed on the radiator or adjacent wall. Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the radiator? Was the radiator recently painted? It is possible that the offending substance was painted over in an attempt to seal the smell in.

If you can describe the smell, perhaps someone will know of a substance to neutralize the smell.

Larry C
This discussion has been closed.