Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

P&T leaking from superstore

Jim_139
Jim_139 Member Posts: 61
Thermal expansion tanks are factory pre-charged to 40psi

Comments

• Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314
    P&T leaking

On the last day before coming home and shutting down system my P&T valve started to dribble (indirect superstore with a munchkin pushin). I have an expansion tank on cold water supply to tank, soon to have a gravity return circulation on domestic hot water. System has run for four years no problems. This is on a well setup with a 40/60 pressure switch. No action has been taken as it was the last day of vacation and I had to return to reality as I took a few more days than I should of. I'm assuming that the expansion tank is water logged or lost its pressure. What pressure should the expansion tank be charged to on this setup??
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Charge the tank...

...to match your system's maximum water pressure. Verify your ACTUAL pressure with a guage, and charge the tank to match. I'm surprised that you are having this problem, though, as the well pressure tank normally can handle expansion from the water heater.

You need to remove the pressure from the water side of the tank before testing the pressure or charging, btw.
This discussion has been closed.