Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair or Replace

Bob Bona_4
Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
no question. You can do so much better. I'm partial to Buderus as my first line, Burnham second.

Comments

• john_230
    john_230 Member Posts: 11
    repair or replace

I have a 22 year old New Yorker, steel boiler.

The boiler has cracking in the chamber, and the berner mounting plate also shows cracking. Can see fire inside the chamber through moounting plate cracking.

Estimates for repair have ranged from $500 to $800.

Would you repair or replace given age. Some say 20 years is life, some say could get 30 yrs or more?

If replace, which brand is preferred (Well McClain, Peerless, Smith, Burnham, etc...)
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 113
    Replace

probably throwing your money away on repairing it.

I`m partial to Burnham myself.
  • john_230
    repair or replace

my cleaning tech said Burnham had in the past some history of tank leakage. incidentally, another vendor said the same. any thoughts on how burnham, smith, peerless stack up on comparables (operating cost and useful life)
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    I

wouldn't get so hung up on brand.I'd recommend any good triple pass boiler/indirect?ODR properly installed
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • john_230
    repair or replace

agreed, name brands all comparable in quality. fine.

on the triple pass boilers, i have had hard time justifying cost over comparable single pass boilers. Was advised operating cost savings in the order of 2.%, depending. However, quotes as much as $2,000 more w/thermostat.

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Adam

you couldn't be more misinformed.The AFUE difference is 2%.AFUE is next to useless in making a comparison between boilers,even more so when the boiler is also making DHW.Do some research,start with this BNL study.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.