Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hey, Dave Strohman (or anyone else that can help) KW

Options
Dave Stroman
Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
Ken, I guess the first question is, does it work ok now. If so, don't worry about it. Most gravity coverts I use a 007 or 0010. Low head is important. The piping is so big that once you get the flow going, the system will almost work without a pump.

Dave Stroman
Dave Stroman

Comments

• ken wickre_9
    ken wickre_9 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Combination inlet/outlet radiator valve

Regarding valves similar to the Ideal Unique Radiator Valve as shown on the attachment - what do you do when you have to repair/replace them? I have a contractor who is helping renovate a home built in 1905 with a gravity HW system which had been converted to forced HW. They are going to have the radiators sand blasted and painted.

I believe the valves are in working order, so the contractor has broken the unions at the els and will leave the body attached to the radiator to eliminate any possible damage in trying to remove them. They will protect the valve inlet/outlets and be careful when handling the radiators.

So, my question really is - what do you do when you encounter these valves that aren't working, broken, etc.? Are they available in any way, shape or form - new, used, rebuilt, salvage? Can you remove the plug on the other end and flow thru with out any problems?

When I learned about the project, I met the contractor's fitter and new homeowner at the house. I commended the homeowner on maintaining the home's original character and that we would make sure she is as comfortable as she can be. But, I could use some help on understanding any concerns with these valves.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

There is no way for it not to work. You can replace the stop washer or packing, as with any valve, but the rest is just brass and non-moving. The union should break the valve from the rad, and the valve would stay on the piping, not the rad. If you put the valve on the rad, it will be sandblasted and need to be plated which would look the best. Some new handles will fit but some folk like myself have saved a few wood handles.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

You are right, Tim. As long as it does not leak and is wide open, it will work. Will they be repiping the system? If they are, they need to see that the flow is not much more than 1.5 GPM or there may be some short circut of the water flow and the radiator may not get hot except right around the valve.

Hey Tim, Remember, I have one of those valves sitting on the floor at my shop.

Ken, We usually just tape the unions to avoid damage at the sandblaster. If they are powder coating, the radiators should not be heated hotter than 400*.

Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman
  • Timco
    Options

The valve on the floor of your shop is the only reason I knew what the OP was talking about. Really neat to see that rare end of the dead men's heating world...How's things with you & yours? I will be moving to Hotchkiss this summer.

Tim
  • ken wickre_9
    Options
    Combination inlet/outlet radiator valve

Thanks gentlemen for your responses. I will share this information with my contractor and his customer. No, there will be no repiping at this time, but you present another question in my mind. Because it has been converted to a pumped system, should we be cognizant of the possibility of over pumping?

On a side note, was it Timco that I briefly met as the two of you were heading over to pick up a radiator before the social hour? If so, nice to meet you, Timco, and your wife. And Dave, thanks to Wetstock, I am pleased to have been able to make your acquaintance. From that experience and my conversations with you, I figured you would be able to help with this issue. Thanks again to both of you.
  • Timco
    Options

Yes, it was Joan and I you met, and it was very nice to meet you as well. You do know, it was Mr. Stroman who we bought the great pantry rad from!

Tim
  • ken wickre_9
    Options

Perfect. The new owner hasn't had a season with the house yet and the previous owners have left South Dakota to go back to New York; so we can't inquire to them about how it worked. I'm confident it will work if we have no trouble with the valves. A home inspection for the new owner revealed they would heat, so we will see. Thanks again for your response.
  • ken wickre_9
    Options

Glad to place you as the infamous Timco. My first Wetstock, 200 people, so many to meet, so much to see, so much to ask, so much to share - it was a blurr!
This discussion has been closed.