Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

connecting coall stoker in conjunction with oil burner, details

Where can detailed instructions be found to connected a coal burning unit with a seperate oil butning unit?

Comments

• More info needed

Bruce,

That is an open question.

Is it steam, hot water, warm air?

One thing I can tell you up front is if it is not one unit LISTED for multi-fuel, then you will need 2 separate chimneys.

You can not use a fuel oil unit and a coal unit both in the same chimney.

Ed Carey
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    interesting question -

and combination of fuels. Depending on your jurisdiction this may or may not be feasible. That said - coal stokers and oil burners (number 2 or used oil) can be interlocked with the correct sequence of relays & temp controls to prevent both firing simultaneously. Its a popular combination for grain dryers. I would recommend you find a PLC guru and pose the question at his/her desk. Unless you are completely comfortable with commercial burner controls (and correctly trained); the complexity can be over whelming. Detailed information? That depends entirely on your selection of controls. This also brings up the issue of combustion air and chimney requirements - again some jurisdictions may allow this combination, others may not. In the combo burners I have seen - it was always the fire insurance carrier that had final word.
  • Bruce_26
    Bruce_26 Member Posts: 27
    Multi-fuel Boiler

There is a multi-fuel boiler that is made to burn coal and oil. Are you using anthracite or bituminous coal? I am very fond of coal boilers. Today many of them are automated so that you do not have to shovel coal into them. Here is a link to a multi-fuel boiler:
    http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/Multi-Fuel_boilers.htm
This discussion has been closed.