Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IS THIS SAFE?

if it does what you wanted, no banging(I`m assuming its steam), and you can make it look OK. Pipe rads are quite common. <BR>Kudos on being so creative!<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• Stewy_2
    Stewy_2 Member Posts: 83
    This is my latest concoction, but is it safe.

I needed heat in the attic but, didn't have an extra radiator so I came up with an idea.

I took a 8ft long piece of 11/2 black iron pipe. Fitted one end with a coupler and the nipple that comes out of the bottom of a rad and connected to the on/off valve. I put a cap that was tapped to accept an air valve on the opposite end. I then used hangers mounted to the floor to get a slight pitch. I plan on making a cover and Ill be done. It heats, like an insinuated pipe in the basement (which is were I got this idea) and looks like water baseboard (a bit bulkier), but is it safe/smart. I'd also like to try to put fins on in an attempt to get better heat.
  • Stewy_2

Yes, it is a one pipe steam system. Any chance anyone might know how to determine the BTU's for something of this nature?
  • Does this help Stewy?

I got this from the Burnham site.

Dave
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    test

• Stewy_2

Do you think I could do the same thing but with cooper to get more heat?
  • Well,

I should have included both tables before,,, here they are now, so you be the judge.

Dave
  • Stewy_2

thank you sir
  • Paul Fredricks_5
    Paul Fredricks_5 Member Posts: 132

Don't use copper when it will in contact with the steam. It can be used for the return piping below water level.
This discussion has been closed.