Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tales from Wetstock...

Andrew Hagen_2
Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
I grabbed this info from the table. It was a pleasure to talk with John about their product. They seem to be going about things in a good way by asking for input from the people who actually install radiant floors and have worked with existing dry systems. They had a fabric-like version and a rigid graphite sheet at the table.

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Anyone....

Scott told me of a wondrous product that sheds heat across a span...yet appears to be "fabric" like.Sounds to me like a carbon fiber product, with a reflective backing as the bottom layer.(am I close?)

Was there any advertising material...or maybe a website to check this out? I'm intrigued. Chris
  • Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    Chris

You were drunk. You were having your own personal Wetstock. Go back to sleep.

:)
  • J.C.A._3
    Cmon Brad!!!

I WAS paying attention.

Scott told me of this on Monday morning, but I was more focused on my work for the day...(forgot the key to the joint!)But.. I still remembered...and only 3 days later.At least I asked.

Of all the folks to respond....I'm gonna put you on the spot.

Brad White, what do you think of this GrafIHX product?

If Scott told me the truth...I'm thinking it might be a nice and cost efficient alternative to stapling or screwing aluminum plates to a few jobs.

I know there are going to be things like this coming along. New uses for older products has always been a big seller for the makers, and it usually took one of the assembly line workers to plant the seed. Power to the proletariat....spoils to the bosses. (as usual!) All I'd ask for is a raise....Chris
  • Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    JCA

You know I was kidding, right?

I was impressed but am reserved by nature and am eager to learn more. If it pans out, what a boon to the industry. My concern might be how it performs over time (analogous to the way aluminum as a reflector can "dust-over" and lose reflectivity).

However this application seems to be primarily a conductive one so reflectivity is not as much of an issue. I would like to see what it does if sandwiched, even used as a reflector.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Chris

any profit that we recieve will be needed to invest in more R+D and of course there are those nasty insurance riders and marketing also. Sorry no raises at this point but thanks for bringing this up. Managment ( during our vaca ... I mean business meeting ) did vote to give you a public pat on the back.

Now back to this product, Brad I would think its real benefit would be from a conductive installation and reflective (which I've never been a fan of anyway).

No ?

Scott " on vacation AGAIN " Milne

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    This product

really grabbed my attention. If it works and is cost effective it could be a big deal. In my own house I installed a staple up in my family room and kitchen 16 years ago. I didnt know what I was doing, but was ready to try & experiment. I bought a reel of flexible PVC braided tubing from the big box store and strapped it up to the sub floor with elec concuit straps. Worked great. 2 years ago, now knowing what I was doing, I up-graded to joist trak plates. Works great but... I do not like the striping on the surface of the floor. This product could be a solution to striping. I offered my house to them as a test site in return for free product, but somehow they didnt see the benefit. :) I will watch with interest in the meantime. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • in testing

JCA,

According to John at Graix, they are in testing to get actual transfer rates for their product. It is new and they are experimenting with a few different confirgerations.

They will be at REX in August and should have more info for us there.

Looked great, will solve a lot of problem jobs if it does what they say it will :-)

skw
  • Hvacman
    Hvacman Member Posts: 159

I heard it as: "The profit bucket is not connected to the raise bucket... and the raise bucket is empty." :-)
  • hb_2
    hb_2 Member Posts: 1
    So, I'm to believe.........

....... that by attaching this product to the underside of the floor. then stapling the tube to it, it performs better than fin? Sure...........

Where is the heat transfer? It looks like just the tube crown is in contact with the floor.

Didn't we leave stapling PEX directly to the floor, because of noise issues, years ago?

Always Skeptically Yours,

hb

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    HB

you have a right to be skepticall. I saw the thermo-photos and the transfer ( as they showed them ) was better and wider spread than plates ..... could be ??

It may be a product for certain applications. Besides the company is just feeling it out right now, not making any claims.

I was skepticall of ME's windows untill I stood in front of them .... and felt the heat.

Scott

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Andrew,

I took down the graphic of the chart because I understand that they're making some changes to it to avoid confusion. Thanks. And it was great to finally meet you in person!
    Retired and loving it.
  • John Schober
    John Schober Member Posts: 11
    skepticism

I'm with Scott...skepticism is good here. If we survive the skepticism then we know that we are in good shape.

From what we've seen in our testing thus far, the concept where the graphite wraps around the tubing has an opportunity to be better thermally than the extruded aluminum plates. We are working on a way to make sure the graphite has good contact with the tube and on how we can make installation easier.

We're not sure about how well the concept with the graphite flat against the floor and the tubing stapled to it will perform vs the aluminum, but it would be easy to install. We're working on determining thermal performance.

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Literature

It was great to meet you too, Dan!

No problem. Looked like marketing literature to me, so I figured it would be ok. I apologize if I caused any confusion. Hopefully there will be an official version available soon.

• J.C.A._3
    Thanks John

Please keep us informed. It sounds like a new twist that could surprise some.

Do you have a photo of the IR image Scott spoke of, available to post? I'd love to see it. Chris
  • John Schober

we'll re-post what Andrew posted earlier in this thread - just have to clean up a thing or two.
  • John Schober
    GrafIHX document

After more delay than I anticipated, here is a re-posting of the document that Andrew Hagen had posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago on GrafIHX heat spreaders.
  • J.C.A._3
    Thanks John.

It looks like the spread is quite a bit more than tube plates. Looks promising. Please keep us informed. Chris
This discussion has been closed.