Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem with Steam boiler and indirect Hot water storage

Ken_54
Ken_54 Member Posts: 1
Help?! I have a fairly new steam boiler with an indirect hot water tank. When I take a shower and pull hot water for 10 minutes, the boiler runs to replace the hot water, but also creates steam and heats the radiators (very hot) So in the springtime, my house turns into an oven. Is there a problem with my heat or a problem with my hot water tank. Thanks for anyone's help.

- Ken

Comments

• adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    !

Sound like a control issue. There is supposed to be an aquastat for the indirect that limits the boiler temp to 180-190° so it doesn't steam and heat up your home as you describe. Any pics? Where are you located?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Adam's right

the boiler should not reach steam temperature unless there is a call for steam. The right pro can straighten this out.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

I recomment a Taco SR501 control with a Honeywell 4006 Aquastat and as Frank mentioned a good pro to wire it.
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • David_5
    David_5 Member Posts: 250

There should be a flow chek valve to prevent the water heater from getting too hot in the winter.

David
  • Toddid Goldsmith's
    Toddid Goldsmith's Member Posts: 77
    Steam boiler and indiriect

Is this the first time you have used the indirect when heat was not needed? The boiler has to maintain temperature, for your domestic water. That can be done with a Honeywell 6006,which would open on temperature rise.The aquastat on the indirect would close on temp. fall, to circulate boiler water through the indirect coil,and heat your domestic water.If the aquastat on the indirect fires the boiler like the thermostat you are going to make steam.Where does the boiler water leave the boiler to go to the indirect, and where does it return to the boiler?
This discussion has been closed.