Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

system 2000/tankles

Bob Forand
Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
I would leave as is. I am in the middle of my own personal debate in regards to the actual efficiency of instantaneous type units. As I see it, every time you fire the unit up, even to wash your hands, the burners run at 100+ thousand BTU's. At the end of the day, i am not so sure that storage isn't more efficient. If you have a good 40 gallon tank that, lets say has a 1 degree per hour standby loss, your boiler will fire to reheat the tank every 40 hours ? How long will it run to heat the tank ? So that my friend, is my debate.

Comments

• Mark_7
    Mark_7 Member Posts: 123
    system 2000/tankles

Customer has a system 2000w/plate and tank,asked if it would be eff. to shut down boiler for summer and install a propane tankless unit. I told them the only eff. they would have is not having any standby loss of the tank. Or recommended going with a 90+ eff. tankless. Any other thoughts?
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

Standby loss on tank is minimal, theyre using hot water daily that will need to heat the incomming cold.

I recommend leaving everything alone.
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • Jim_139
    Jim_139 Member Posts: 61

When I installed my own EK we were in the process of cleaning up the house before we could move in (it was a repo). We didn't use much hot water for awhile so I could check the time frequency between cycles. 36 hours was what I came up with. Standard glass lined tank, no wrap.

Most of the loss of any direct fired WH is up the flue. A tankless will fire up whenever flow through the unit is about .6 GPM. The firing rate may modulate after that but each time you use hot water the unit will cycle on/off. Wear and tear on components adds up.
  • chapchap70_2
    chapchap70_2 Member Posts: 147
    Idle loss negligible

Given that a 50 gallon storage tank that has an off cycle loss of 0.5 degrees per hour, (Superstor claims their tanks have less than 1/2 degree loss per hour) the amount of oil required to maintain the temperature in the storage tank for one year is about 13 gallons.

Since the System 2000 post purges its residual heat to the storage tank in the summer, there is very little idle loss from the boiler.

Even at $5.00 per gallon which would amount to around $100 (for the year, not just summer) how long would the payback be?
This discussion has been closed.