Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

bypass and old gravity systems

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
I am converting a gravity system to circulation and adding a radiant floor system. If i do primary and secondary piping and set the gravity system circulator to run continually and install thermostatic radiator valves, is the pump going to burn up if i get a freak warm day.

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    bypass and old gravity return

installing a burnham scg on a old but fairly small capicity gravity return system it was already changed over to a pumped system...my guestion is this,i am looking for a simple bypass piping schematic with instructions on how to regulate the return temp to keep the temp in the boiler up,any help would be appreciated thanks
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Is the boiler not reaching the desired temp with circulation, or are there multi zones and you want return temp protection?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    bypass

piped boiler today but not quite done. sparky coming to power up monday...this a single zone and i piped the pumbing ayay module with bypass before tie circ....thanks
  • Timco

Most gravity return systems did not have a bypass, and if your system is all on one zone, there is no need for a bypass. I had a gravity return system that was converted and could not get to 180*, and it needed a bypass. Is there a specific reason you want a bypass on a system like this? Could you post a picture?

Tim
  • Walt_7
    Walt_7 Member Posts: 1
    convert Hot water heater

I use a wood coal stove and want to install a U tube stainless steel pipe in to this stove to preheat my hot water tank in the wintermonths. I would like to do this without a circulator, has anybody got any schematics or drawings how this can be done. I would bypass the stove in
    the summer. thanks.
    I live in syracuse NY
  • Timco

Sounds like a fine bomb, actually...how would you control the water temp or expansion of the water? A tank in the basement that reaches basement temp alone would help, or maybe a GFX HX?

Tim
  • Timco

If you have gravity now (2-pipe) no. You can only use TRVs with a 2-pipe system. Do yo know the required flow rate for your boiler? You will need that info for the pri loop...

Tim
  • tk_3
    tk_3 Member Posts: 36

Adjust the flow through the boiler for about a 40º delta T
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239

It is a 2 pipe supply and 2 pipe return system. I won't know the flow rate till i get my heat loss calculation back. I'm not quite sure on the proper installation method for the TRV's.
This discussion has been closed.