Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drawing programs...Visio or others?

Jed_2
Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
I'm more basic, but effective. Visio has more capabilities than I will ever use regularly. But this is fun.

Jed

Comments

• Rocky_3
    Rocky_3 Member Posts: 232
    What works for you?

Is Visio the "default" drawing and piping diagram program everyone is using or are there serious contenders to this? If you are using visio, is there a version that works better than others, ie: professional vs. standard etc? What are your particular likes or dislikes about your programs. Fixing to jump into the fray and would like to do it once and do it right.
    Thanks,
    Rocky
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I use the free \"Paint\" program.

It comes with Windows.

I've got lots of drawings. Here are two simple ones:

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Terry Trommeshauser
    Terry Trommeshauser Member Posts: 34
    acad

I've tried some of the others, but will always luv my Autocad. Useful in many ways, just a rather large learning curve to overcome if you are not familiar with it.
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 360

I use Autocad for most of our professional drawings but when I need to get something out fast or do a shop drawing Siggy's HydroniCAD is perfect.

HydroniCAD Link
  • Terry Trommeshauser
    Terry Trommeshauser Member Posts: 34
    wiring?

Josh, will this prog do wiring digrams as well - or just piping??
  • Josh M.

To a certain extent. I generally use dotted lines to represent wires. You can also create any shape that you want to use to represent a controller.

I don't know that I would do a ladder diagram though. To me its much easier to do a regular CAD drawing if I'm gonna take it very far.
  • Hvacman
    Hvacman Member Posts: 159
    Visio

I use Visio Pro and love it... I was able to turn out basic diagrams very soon after starting to learn it. Most anyone should be able to do a nice looking drawing with very little learning time, I chose Pro because it has the mechanical and engineering templates.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    i've been using

a program called ''smartdraw''and it works very well is within my limited computer brains.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    quick and easy

is what I like about the hydroniCAD program.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • WV EGBERT_2
    WV EGBERT_2 Member Posts: 98
    Delete with HydroniCad

If I wanted to erase something on HydroniCad, How would I do that? i have not figured that out yet.

THanks

Devan

• Josh M.

I just click on the object and press delete...
  • Rocky_3
    Rocky_3 Member Posts: 232
    HydroniCad do electrical?

Saw some drawings Paul Rohr posted (using Visio) regarding a buffer tank system and they showed the electrical as well. thought that was a nice touch. Will HydroniCad do that as well? And what about the actual devices? do they come "pre-loaded" on the program or do you have to import them from somewhere?

Rocky
  • Jed_2
    Perspective

With this free drop in, Visio gains another dimension.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    HydroniCAD palettes

Here are the pre loaded icons. You can also build your own.

To erase, click on the line or object and drag it off the side.

Another trick to remove pieces is to click on the pencil, click on color white, and white out. I removed the oil gun from this boiler to turn it into a wood fired boiler :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Craig R Bergman
    Craig R Bergman Member Posts: 101
    Just the basic \"Paint\"

is what we use. Once you figure it out and build a library it's easy.

Bergy
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    What do you want to accomplish?

The more you want to achieve, the more capabilities you are going to want. I really like being able to provide the electrical schematic.

It can be an investment of time intially, but once you have a small library of drawings, one job is usually a variation from a previous one.

I do like the versatility of Visio in the ability to import JPEG's or other mediums and convert them to what I want. Visio can perform Gantt Chart functions, timelines, organizational flow charts and quite a bit more. What ever you can think of, you can import into visio and incorporate it. I think it is a great tool for tech's and homeowners to illustrate what component is where and have a plan of attack even before showing up. The bulk of which can be accomplished with a digital camera, but combining the two is an awesome tool.

Best of luck in your decision.

Regards,

PR
  • Jed_2
    Beautiful, Paul

You certainly have shown a mastery of Visio. I'm a little more basic, but effective. Visio has far more capabilities than I will ever use regularly,as you said.
  • Jed_2
    Beautifull work, Paul

I'm more basic working with Visio, but effective. It certainly has more capabilities than I will ever use regularly. But, this one is fun.
  • Jed_2
    Beautifull work, Paul

I'm more basic. But this is fun.

Jed
This discussion has been closed.