Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator under a window seat?

fatty_2
fatty_2 Member Posts: 54
actually... i had the same question myself once, so i put a few scraps of ply and 1x on top of some steam radiators, just layed on top. some of the ply delaminated and warped pretty seriously. the solid wood did fine.

edit: i'm sure some thin solid ins. would be enough.

Comments

• Paul Mitchell_3
    Paul Mitchell_3 Member Posts: 12
    Radiator under a window seat?

Hello everyone. Been a while since I posted. I have a customer who is building a window seat around a radiator. The carpenter is concerned about the heat from the radiator.

Does anyone know a way to insualte the wwod rom the radiator? I figured maybe some reflective insualtion on the side of the wood that faces the readiator. The carpenter is leaving a space at the bottom of the seat and top for convection. It is a hot water radiator.

PS Dan, I will be sending you some new info so we can get back on the "Find a Pro" list.

Thanks

Paul Mitchell
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Truly no need to insulate the wood from the radiator. Just make sure the carpenter knows what he's doing. Covering a radiator turns it into a convector and can severely limit output if improperly designed.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks, Paul

Here's something from the Library on this: Can steam pipes set wood on fire?
    Retired and loving it.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Window seat rad enclosures

I alway's require build to put 1/2" ridgid insulation on inside of wood enclosure. Put screen fronts on front panel of radiator to let some radiant heat out the front along w/ bottom opening and top opening for convetive output. Then I still factor in appx 25% loss due to enclosure. PS if it is a painted wood enclosure, you will get alot of movement on wood and cracking paint at joint, with stained wood it is a little less noticeable but still does it. The insulation helps to reduce this. Good luck, Tim
This discussion has been closed.