Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Off Topic - Concerning air compressors

Options
I've got a Campbell Hausfield that I bought from Lowe's a long time ago, about the same specs as you indicated, have severely abused it, and it has never failed. I use it with everything from my brad nailers to an impact wrench, to the good 'ole Senco SN-4 framing nailer...BUT!..it will not spray paint, run a DA sander or die grinder.Need something with more oomph to do that kind of work. If you need to use an extension cord, get one with #12 wire, or breakers will trip, and not too long eiether...mfm

Comments

• Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Options

Hey guys. Now air tools and all that relates to them is definitely out of my knowledge base. I would like to know what you guys have experienced.

I would need something that would do most jobs at home from work on my car to corwn moulding to trying to remove a stuck radiator pug with a 1/2" impact wrench. I've looked into the Paslode 16ga finish nailer but I am not sold on it due to it's shady reports from many users; misfires, unreliability, etc. This of course would limit every project apart from woodworking that I would like to do. I was looking into compressors but I cannot figure out what the best outfit would be. I'm thinking of at least a 4.0 cfm at 90 psi portable (on wheels at least) compressor that Dewalt, Kobalt(Lowes brand), Porter cable, and Ingersoll offers. Some are electric which I would prefer and some are oil vs. oiless.

What would you guys buy had you been in my shoes?
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Air compressor on my service truck

Releted? I wanted an air compressor on the service van for exp tanks water tanks as well as tires on the truck etc. I found a HUSKY (sorry homedepot item) Air compressor and jump box works 100% for my needs. I can use it to start a car or my tractor, run other 12v appliances, laptop or 2way radio charger or cell phone charger, it has a small 110v inverter in it and the cmpressor works well for bladder tanks. its well worth the weight on the truck.
    I have also added some auxillary flashers to the truck that i can power from the jump box and never have to worey about the truck batt going weak.

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I have a porta cable job boss that has no oil feature, and two ports. It also has WHEELS and is the best compressor I ever bought. Does it all for me!

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • PS_3
    PS_3 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Conditions

If you plan to use or store this compressor in temps less than 32 degF, I prefer the oil-less - and be sure to empty the tank and leave the bleed valve open to drain water and moisture when not in use. Have had a few that rotted out and leaked around the valve. P-C and I-R are 2 that I've liked, and the 12-gage extension cord is a must.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,129
    Options
    How much air do you need?

watch the CFM and psi requirements on air "hog" tools like impact wrenches, die grinders, sand blasters, etc. Typically a small contractor compressor, designed to work on a 120V 15 amp circuit, will not power an impact wrench very well. A large storage helps for that type of load. if the impact is a must have or often used tool you'll need serious CFMs. Or consider an elecric impact wrench.

For portable use I like the Campbell Haufield extreme duty series. A bit heavier to haul as they have a real electric motor, not a drill motor :) I bought a reconditioned one from their website years ago, a very tough and dependable compressor after burning out several box store bargin units.

For a shop mount look for a low RPM style. Those high speed models will cause deafness :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bill Pidgeon_2
    Bill Pidgeon_2 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hmm - that depends...

"if the impact is a must have or often used tool you'll need serious CFMs. Or consider an electric impact wrench"

No argument with air grinders and sandblasters, but I put impact wrenches into a different category. With an impact wrench, the air consumption is much more a function of the type of use. If you are driving lag screws into 4x4s (high torque for extended time), then I agree, they use a lot of air.

However, working with bolts, the high air consumption is only needed for initial break-away or final tightening. This is the ideal situation for a pneumatic impact wrench, if the compressor has moderate sized storage tank. Mine is only 20 gallons and on wheels. Easy to move, but a two-man lift. The impact wrench air consumption hasn't limited me, but I use it mostly for auto repair, not for driving lag screws. My air hammer is usually used for longer durations, and that will occasionally be limited by the 20 gallon air tank, but it gets the job done.

Compare the tool specs:

Milwaukee 9071-20 Electric Impact Wrench,
    300 ft-lbs,
    weighs 6 lbs & 11-5/8" long.

Chicago Pneumatic CP746 Impact Wrench,
    Max Tq 450 ft-lb, working tq 330 ft-lbs,
    weighs 5.5 lbs & 7.5" long,
    19 cfm max - requires air tank,
    4.75 cfm average.

Chicago Pneumatic CP715 Air Hammer
    Ave. Air consumption 3.5 cfm,
    Actual Air consumption @ load 14 cfm.

For my use, the pneumatic impact wrench is a much better tool, and even a 20 gallon air tank hasn't limited my use. The electric impact wrench isn't even close for break-away torque or compact size.

By the way, I've had good luck with Chicago Pneumatic air tools, even beyond my home tools.

Bill Pidgeon
This discussion has been closed.