Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermal camera

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
like any other specialized tool, you'll find enough work to pay for it.

I've noticed many home buyers are asking for IR scans of the homes they are shopping. Some realtors are also offering IR scans of their listings.

One radiant slab leak location can pay for it also, considering concrete demo and replacement.

If the word got around that you owned one work will follow.

I don't own one myself as Dave assumes, but Watts Radiant allows me to borrow theirs.

Check into the model they offer to roofing contractors, it's less than what you suggested.

Tom o Toole is the Flir fellow that did the RPA presentation in CT this year. He is anxious to get more cameras in the HVAC field. try him at 978-901-8301 in North Billerica MA.

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• EMB
    EMB Member Posts: 37
    Thermal imaging

I'm thinking of investing in a thermal imaging camera. I know it's going to be a significant chunk of change, and would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on brands etc. The primary but not exclusive use will be for heat loss analysis and building diagnostics.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Flir

they have a rental and a demo program and some low priced contractor versions. Also re-built models a a better price.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Thermal camera

You MUST have one of those Bob,,,,but then EMB will have to buy his LOL!

Dave
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Check out Irisys cameras at www.irisys.co.uk There are many reps on the east coast (chowder heads) that carry them and they begin at $2500 or so. I like mine but it does NOT have the image that a Flir has. The higher end units do. I can send you or post images from mine if you would like...It's the $2500 unit.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Flir

I recommend Flir because their training is excellent. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at thermal images, but keep that in mind... they're only images. You will do yourself well to learn about emmisivity (did I spell that right?) and reflection. Things are not what they seem in sometimes in the world if IR.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gary

You mean you actually have one? Is rocket science a pet-pev?
    These things are alot of cash, so unless a person has the use for it, forgetaboutit!
    I`m thinkin. why should I pay a guy who can`t read it anyway?
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    infared

We have a blower door and do duct testing as well No infared I'm on the fence over an 8200$ Flir It could really help save some headaches with customers and I'm getting requests to IR houses along with the blower door. Question is what's someone willing to pay for an IR scan? 200$-400$??? gotta find a way to make it pay for itself other than just saving my bacon showing folks how bad it is when they say the heat doesn't work.
  • joel_19
    oops

sorry for inadvertantly bringing up price
  • joel_19
    HR

thanx very much i will call him today not too far from here!!!!
  • EMB
    EMB Member Posts: 37
    Good input

Thanks for all your input.
    If these fuel prices do nothing else, at least they have finally forced people to question where all those btu's are going. We are going to have to figure out an appropriate fee, however, the resulting images when combined with a blower door test should sell themselves.

eb
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    yeah

I have the Flir B1 or B2, I get confused, it's the one that does NOT adjust emmisvity.

I did not catch your comment on the rocket science... was that a pun?

I don't use mine much; I have more faith in my blower door.

Used together (blower door and IR), you can really see some good stuff. With home diagnostics, it's been said you really need about 20 degrees difference to have good practical interpretations of the images. With a blower door it can be reduced to perhaps only a few degrees.

Evaporative cooling is another neat topic with IR; our trainer at flir tossed some hot water on the floor, and of course the image showed heat. A few minutes later, it showed cool.

So, you don't HAVE to get training, but I pity the fool that makes an incorrect diagnosis because the didn't realize the reflection gave him an erroneous (to the operator) reading. I'm not a pro at this, but I'm glad I know some basics. That is, I know what I don't know!!

Gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Mike Thomas_2
    Mike Thomas_2 Member Posts: 109
    b;pwer door

I agree the camera would be nice, but in my experience a blower door will do more for finding heat loss. I've had my blower door for 10 years now and have done some rather amazing weatherization and saved people more money. I have also acted as "third party" to explain why a heating/cooling system isn't working as expected, because of shoddy workmanship by the general contractor. As far as finding leaks in a radiant slap, well a pair of geophones at about $400, and the air compressor you already have should pin point that leak for you.
This discussion has been closed.